Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How Early Will Turkeys Gobble on the Roost? >

How Early Will Turkeys Gobble on the Roost?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How Early Will Turkeys Gobble on the Roost?

Old 04-11-2008, 05:33 AM

Default How Early Will Turkeys Gobble on the Roost?

I'm pretty familiar with getting them to gobble just before sunrise, but I am going to hunt a new property in the AM, have limited info from the farmer, but unfortunatley have done no scouting, and I'm wondering if an owl hoot or other sound made 1.5 hours before sunrise will get a response so I can know where to set up.

First light is at 6:40 tomorrow. What's the earliest you guys think I could get a gobble back?

If I can't hear anything real early, am I better to pick a spot and hope I'm near one or am I better to wait in a central high open area until I get a gobble and head that direction hoping togo in and get set upundetected as it gets close to sunrise?

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2008, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Early Will Turkeys Gobble on the Roost?

To me sunrise is different than first light. I'd say an hour before actual sunrise might get you a responce. Sometimes it seems to me they'll start torespond as soon as they can see the ground. On other days, they don't gobble until it's shooting light. I generally don't start owl hooting until I hear a gobble from somewhere. If it's too light to move on them, have an alternative setup strategy. Set up where they're going.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:09 AM
car
Typical Buck

I remember one year there was a thunderstorm 20 miles north of me. Evertime it would thunder the toms would gobble. This was a good 2 hrs before light.
car
Old 04-11-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had situations similar to car ^^^^

Thunderstorms in particular seem to keep gobblers up all night... they will gobble everytime it thunders. Its pretty dang neat to be honest.

There have been birds I've hunted that start gobbling at 430am and birds that won't gobble until 8am. I think a lot of it is situationally dependant (isn't everything?).
Old 04-11-2008, 06:29 AM
JW
Super Moderator

QUOTE: NEW AREAS FOT ME
I better to wait in a central high open area until I get a gobble and head that direction hoping togo in and get set upundetected as it gets close to sunrise?

WHAT I DO.

JW
Old 04-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

During the full moon I have heard turkeys gobble all night. It all depends on the turkeys. Where I hunt the turkeys gobble before it even breaks daylight. I know when they gobble so I will hoot and make something happen. But that is the way I hunt, I like aggressive hunting. Sometimes it doesn't work but most of the time it does. Put him to bed that night and take alot of the guess work out of it. Good Luck
Old 04-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tree gobbling can vary...Short answer, usually about 45-30 minutes before sunrise...

I prefer to stay away from locator calls and listen, if they are gobbling, move silently to within 100-125 yards from them and set up...When you start to hear the crows calling, go with a few light yelps, simulate a flydown with a wing, or even your hat, then shut up...

If you must call after flydown, go with soft purrs and scratch the leaves like the hens are content and feeding...
Old 04-11-2008, 09:40 AM

JW!
I agree. I no longer waste time just going in any direction in a new area. I wait for the gobblers to tell me where they are and a high open area is the best place to listen from.

I don't take off in the direction of the first gobble specially if the bird is some distance or rough terrain between me and him. I wait a few minutes hoping a bird will sound off closer or I pick the gobbler that sounds to me like it is a boss bird.

I wouldn't try to be in the woods super early, just early enough to be in my listening spot at first light. But it is better to be an hour early than one minute too late. Often they gobble less or not at all when their feet hit the ground.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:38 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Great tips guys. I like to be at a high spot were I can hear along way unless I know where the birds are roosting. If I know where they are roosting then I like to get in early and get set up. Youth season starts in MO tomorrow and I am taking my little cousin out. Saw 3 toms in a big field about an hour ago and I know exactly where they will be roosting. Get up early and hunt late!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:16 PM

DTC: Good luck....

Quick Reply: How Early Will Turkeys Gobble on the Roost?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.