Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help with slate call

Old 04-24-2004, 04:19 PM

Default Help with slate call

well im new to turkey hunting and i recently bought a primos power crystal and im having trouble making it work. this might sound stupid but how do i get it to make noise? im trying but its few and far between. how much pressure, angle? any help would be great. thanks.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with slate call

First of all...take some steel wool or sand paper and rough up the surface of the call. That is most important. I do this everday during season. You can rough the striker a little. Then hold the striker on the surface and tilt it away from you at about a 35-45 degree angle. Then flick you fingers bringing the striker towards you. I would use the outer portion of the call but figure out what sounds best. To do the basic yelp, make a small oval with the striker. The pulling motion is when you will get the sound. Feel free to email me if you have any more questions. Good luck and let us know how you do.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:30 PM

Did you condition the call as per the instructions? That is very important. Then take the striker and hold it much like you would a pencil with the top angled away from you. Make small circles for yelps. Drag it slowly across for purrs and pop it across for clucks. I really like my power crystal---but it is crucial that you condition it. Sand one way across the surface and you should be fine. Let me know!
Old 04-26-2004, 01:40 PM

Turn your slate at a 35 degree and use your stick or peg and call that way. The best calls to use during this time are a purr, cluck and a yelp. Sometimes you could do a kee kee run also but the most popular I think is the loner hen. But I also use a few different calls on the side like a few box calls and a tube gobble.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:45 PM

Well your idea works but I turn the slate in towards me. Then I when I do a yelp i go long ways and along with the purrs. But when I'm clucking I just use short strikes. Even you could e-mail me at [email protected]. SO I could hear if you got some better suggestions because the slate is sometimes better then the box.