Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Coyote attacks my decoys. >

Coyote attacks my decoys.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Coyote attacks my decoys.

Old 04-29-2004, 02:27 PM

Default RE: Coyote attacks my decoys.

I never ever seen it happen ever so that must of been weird to see. But if it ever happened to me I'd shoot that coyote and take its hide and tan it. For you could have it forever and then go out the next day for that turkey because coyote hidew you keep forever but the turkey you have to eat. But at least you keep the tail, feet, and beard but not the whole hide. So why don't you shoot and put the picture on the web.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:26 PM

I've killed a coyote at about 10 steps turkey hunting and what was really awesome was a bobcat stalking a hen that was coming to my call. She was about 25 yards from me and the bobcat was about 20 yards behind her, belly to the ground and sneakin'! The hen caught movement, wheeled around and the bobcat took off and I shot, but missed. The hen flew up and landed and went back to picking about 15 yards from me. I had to run her off to get to class!
Old 04-29-2004, 05:09 PM

I was hunting out side of Lawton Oklahoma about 3 weeks ago. I hadn't heard a single gobble so when I saw a cyote about 150 yards away I was ready for a show. He was very curious and I could tell he wanted my decoy but he was just a little cautious. After about 10 minutes of trying to make up his mind he came charging in. That was what I was wanting until I realized that I had 3 silent toms working their way across the feild about 80 yards away from me. When the cyote made it to my decoy I shooed him away with a few leg kicks. He took off across the field to the west. I continued calling and brought the birds within about 40 yards when all off a sudden another cyote shot out across in front of me from the east. He made it all the way to my decoy before I could shoo him away. I dont' know how I was able to get rid of the cyotes with out scaring the toms but I came home with a 21 pound gobbler with a 10 inch beard. With two cyotes I still got the birds in for a 7 yard shot. I was amazed at the excitement of that morning.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:09 PM

I was hunting out side of Lawton Oklahoma about 3 weeks ago. I hadn't heard a single gobble so when I saw a cyote about 150 yards away I was ready for a show. He was very curious and I could tell he wanted my decoy but he was just a little cautious. After about 10 minutes of trying to make up his mind he came charging in. That was what I was wanting until I realized that I had 3 silent toms working their way across the feild about 80 yards away from me. When the cyote made it to my decoy I shooed him away with a few leg kicks. He took off across the field to the west. I continued calling and brought the birds within about 40 yards when all off a sudden another cyote shot out across in front of me from the east. He made it all the way to my decoy before I could shoo him away. I dont' know how I was able to get rid of the cyotes with out scaring the toms but I came home with a 21 pound gobbler with a 10 inch beard. With two cyotes I still got the birds in for a 7 yard shot. I was amazed at the excitement of that morning.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:58 PM

About seven or eight years ago a friend and I were turkey hunting on Fort Knox Army base, we were in an area along the Salt River and we were down on the river bottoms. We were working two long beards at once, one was behind us and the other was to our left, we were facing the river. We had three hen decoys out. The bird to our left we could see in the distance. And out of the blue from our right came a coyote and got one of my decoys by it’s head, dropped it and ran off down the bottoms in the direction of the long beard to our left. Needless to say the turkeys ran off to. Less than a min later here came another coyote came from the same direction and grabbed the same decoy, but this time he off with my decoy in the same direction as the other coyote. Well we had to shoot him to get my decoy back. He made it about 60 yards before we had time to shoot and we both shot at the same time and he rolled about another 10 yards.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

I've never had one attack my decoy, but I did shoot one this season that spooked a tom that I had coming in hot. It was fun, but I wish I had gotten the turkey instead. BB
Old 04-30-2004, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Strut,

Last season I layed a coyote out after he busted a couple toms I was calling...everytime I softly yelped, they'd pound.....then I heard a putt and wings and wondered what the heck happened... I know one was around and they were coming fast and covered a lot of land....I softly called...nothing......called again....nothing....then I saw him slipping along the edge of the woods, coming in slow....so I beared down on the shotgun....yelped and he'd come...at 30 yards he finally wondered where that hen was and I rolled him.....I love'd it.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:46 AM

i didn't have a decoy at the time but 2 years ago, i was calling under some powerlines where i had seen turkey in the fall. All of a sudden, a flock of crows starts going off, screaming and squawking and out runs a coyote. My instinct told me to shoot and i did but i am not sure if i hit him or not. He was on a full sprint for the opposite side of the powerlines where i was and it sounded like he couldn't quite stop and when into a bush. He regained himself and took off back up the powerlines. I had gotten up to go get him cause i though he was down but for some reason i just watched as ran up the powerline and totally forgot to shoot again. Next time, i don't think he will be so lucky[:@]
Old 04-30-2004, 04:43 PM

We have a big problem with them coming into our setups out here.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:07 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]