Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

suggestion's and tips

Old 04-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: suggestion's and tips

ORIGINAL: DHF:KYLEN

I don't have the "in field" experince that all the others have but this is what I have done to change to odds in my favor. Now with that said it could have just been luck.

I hunt (WMA'S) that are heavily used. I figure that everybody out there knows more, has hunted more, can call better than me, and know all the best spots.

Knowing this going in, I choose places that look good to me, (not the ones that everybody will be going to), based on information that I seen on sites like this and out of magazines. I also, if possible look or hear the calls that others will use out in the field and use something else.

Using this "rookie" aproach in just two seasons I've gotten two birds to my credit. And had opportunities for many others.

Hope it helps.
This is really sage advice. Like you I hunt public land. I work hard to stay away from where everyone else is headed. Scouting, Scouting, Scouting is the key.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:04 PM

i have a quick question about calling...how often do u call...lets say ur just sitting in the woods and u have decoys out and you dont know if a gobbler is around how often would you call...every few seconds, minutes??? and would you have better sucess if you had a few hens out and you and one other buddy of yours were both calling???
Old 04-26-2004, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ALESN87

i have a quick question about calling...how often do u call...lets say ur just sitting in the woods and u have decoys out and you dont know if a gobbler is around how often would you call...every few seconds, minutes??? and would you have better sucess if you had a few hens out and you and one other buddy of yours were both calling???
That depends if I get a reply to my initial calls or not. If I KNOW there are gobblers close I stick with cuts & purrs. I try to wait 15-20 minutes between calls. Also I use these:

http://www.casscreek.com/prod_turkey.html

http://www.casscreek.com/prod_gobbler.html
Old 05-01-2004, 09:10 AM

i spooked a gobbler today when i went hunting...he was at the bottom of a reivine and wouldnt come up so i went down and i saw him fly away...it didnt look like he flew very far...i plan on taking 2 hen decoys down to where i saw him fly away at...do u think he will be there tommorow???
Old 05-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends...maybe yes, maybe no...

Did you hear him on the roost, or find him later in the morning?

If he roosts near there, then by all means set-up closer.

Hard to give much advice without more info...
Old 05-01-2004, 05:30 PM
JW
Super Moderator

If he is serviceing a Hen in this area - he will be back!

Been there done that!

To answer a few of your other questions each bird is different. Some you need to call quite a bit to - some require very few calls. You let the bird tell you.

Now if he answers your call. Try one more and shut up. Let him Gobble on his own before you call again. If he is comning he will sound closer or may be going theo ther way. Some birds that go the other way I try to cutt at and really crank them up. If he still continues to sound like he is going away I try to get around him and be in the direction he wants to go.

I have also gone to where they have been and waited for hours for the bird to come back. But they have come back for the most part. Or at least I know the time he was there and then will be there before he gets there the next day.

Be creative but tyr not to over call.

Another thing I don't do is call before season. I will sue a crow or owl or duck or pileated woodpecker but never a turkey call. I may even use a gobble call but that is as close as I get.
Why? - I don't like training the biords I am trying to hunt.

JW
Old 05-04-2004, 04:52 PM

do hens and jakes/toms have the same fan??? the reason i asked this is i was walking down a hill and turkey flew up but i didnt shoot it because it appeared to be brown but the fan looked like a toms fan should be... i got a good look to cuz it flew up like 8 feet from me...
Old 05-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

A tom's fan will be full, or all the feathers will be the same size. a Jake's fan will have the middle of the fan sticking up, taller than the rest of it.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:12 PM

yesterday i came across some turkey poo and some of it was straight and some was curly i heard that a hen's poo is different from a toms...anyone know which is which??? and i also saw that to get where i found the poo they had to cross a open feild and a fence but there was a path that they were walking on...do u think that they made that path and are comming back and fourth every day?? i also found scrachings where the poo was....
Old 05-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

The gobbler droppings tend to be shaped like a "J" or hook. The hens just a pile.