Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

suggestion's and tips

Old 04-20-2004, 05:12 PM

Default suggestion's and tips

im going out turkey hunting april 28-may16 and the place that im going i dont think have very many turkeys but i saw some a few years ago and just this november we found a pile of turkey feathers and i was wondering if anyone had any good tips on what to do when im out there...is there anything i can do to help draw turkeys to where im gonna hunt???? any suggestions would be great thanks!!
Old 04-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: suggestion's and tips

I'd get out there now and start scouting.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:10 PM

I don't have the "in field" experince that all the others have but this is what I have done to change to odds in my favor. Now with that said it could have just been luck.

I hunt (WMA'S) that are heavily used. I figure that everybody out there knows more, has hunted more, can call better than me, and know all the best spots.

Knowing this going in, I choose places that look good to me, (not the ones that everybody will be going to), based on information that I seen on sites like this and out of magazines. I also, if possible look or hear the calls that others will use out in the field and use something else.

Using this "rookie" aproach in just two seasons I've gotten two birds to my credit. And had opportunities for many others.

Hope it helps.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:44 PM

you definatly need to scout that out. there isnt much you can do unless you have an idea where the birds are... if you cant scout...i would start the morning really early with some locator owl calls...even if it means driving the roads and giving them until you get a response...then get out and set up close to where the birds are....this will be your best chance i believe. GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-22-2004, 03:11 PM

well im going scouting saturday and sunday morning and i was wondering if you guys would help me out here...i dont really know what to do or look for when scouting since there is not very many turkeys here...i was thinking about taking a crow locator call...would that work and what are some things to look for when scouting???
Old 04-23-2004, 09:28 PM

ALESN87 I would get out there early while its still dark and get on the top of a ridge or high point on the propery and listen for gobbling at daybreak. This will help you pinpoint where they're roosting and give you a good idea on where to set up on opening morning. As for walking the property and looking for turkey sign. I would look for scratching in the leaves in the woods and turkey tracks in fields and along dirt roads through the property. Feathers and droppings are also a good sign that turkeys are using your property.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:51 AM

guys i am pumped i got out there before 7:30 went walking and using my crow locator call and i got no response but as i was walking across a field i dicided to use my locator call and i got a response and it sounded like it was really close by...but then i kept walking closer and i used the crow call right away again and i think i scared it a little bit...do u think he will come back soon??? should i go out earlier tommorow???
Old 04-24-2004, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

depends on how bad you spooked him, by the sounds of it , he didnt freak out and fly away, if anything i would set up close by to where he was or even better , go near there while it's still dark and try to get him to gobble and go to it, just not too close my second bird was gobblin' in the roost, we were right on top of him before we knew it, he must of turned and gobbled when we got close becasue he did sound farther than what he actually was.......good luck
Old 04-24-2004, 03:54 PM

i scared a hen when i went out scouting for a second time earlier today...i was thinking instead of a crow locator call i would take my box call and see if i can get a response for next weekend...is this a good idea or not???
Old 04-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say get out there and scout it for the first couple of days. Find out where the birds are there. Then try to set up close to where you think they may be roosting. Let us know how you do! Good Luck!!

Quick Reply: suggestion's and tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.