Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Question - locator calls >

Question - locator calls

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Question - locator calls

Old 04-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question - locator calls

Sometimes I use my voice to owl hoot at dawn or dusk, but my personal favorite is the peacock call. I use the Triple Shock from Primos, so I'll mix it up between a peacock, pileated woodpecker, and a coyote howl. It's weird, but sometimes they won't respond to the woodpecker, but you can wait about a minute and hit a peacock or coyote and they'll gobble. If they are fairly close, I avoid the coyote for since they are predators. I've found that that thing is so loud and shrilly that it doesn't really matter if you make an animal call or not, just make it scream. I use it all times of the day. I've even used it when I've been working a bird for a while that is still a ways off, and he decides to go silent for a while. I'll hit it to get him pinpointed to determine if I need to move or if he's slipping in. I do think they get conditioned to them though if they get messed with a lot. That's why I like to mix it up. I also like the peacock call if another hunter is moving in to my area. Unless they are idiots they can figure out that another hunter is working the bird when they hear it, and you don't have to wait until they bust your set-up for them to know you're there.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:54 PM

i have a primos power crow call and im going scouting this weekend and i was wondering do u think it is a good idea to use this call just to see if there is anything out there for 4th season??? or should i just take my box call with me instead??
Old 04-23-2004, 08:12 PM

ALESN87 I would just use my crow call or one of my other locator calls if I was just scouting before the season. I try not to use my turkey calls in the woods before the season.