Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 I FOUND EM'! Now will they be there come May 3rd? >

I FOUND EM'! Now will they be there come May 3rd?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I FOUND EM'! Now will they be there come May 3rd?

Old 04-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I FOUND EM'! Now will they be there come May 3rd?

This will be my first year turkey hunting, so my knowledge is limited to everything I read rather than actual experience. I've been scouting and calling behind my house on some private property I have permission to hunt. No bird sightings, no birds heard. Today, I show up at my folks' house for Easter dinner at 2p. My dad says, "Look at the turkeys." My folks have 10 acres that is surrounded by woods and fields and houses. He said the turkeys have been coming through the back yard (about 150 yards from the house) everyday now for the past week and a half - all different times of day. There were 7 birds total, three being gobblers and the rest were jakes and hens. This is the first time in 31 years we've ever seen turkeys on this property. The biggest bird, to my best guess, had a beard about 11-12" long. This was a HUGE tom. My tag doesn't start until May 3rd - think they'll be around then? My guess is there is no hunting pressure around because the neighbors do not hunt. There are plenty of places to hide and ambush these birds so long as they continue this course for a few more weeks. Think they will?
Old 04-11-2004, 09:19 PM

Default RE: I FOUND EM'! Now will they be there come May 3rd?

there route can change in a hurry......but you never know...i wish you luck
Old 04-12-2004, 06:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-12-2004, 07:25 AM

Nope, on the 2nd of may those birds will pack up change their whole life pattern. I think the fish and game sends them a notice when hunting season starts. Remember, just when you think you have turkeys figures out, they will humble you to a new begining.

Good Luck
Old 04-12-2004, 08:31 AM

I agree with Poult, my first bird was an ambush by accident. I was thrilled but the next year I got one the tradtional way and let me tell you, you wouldn't even want to ambush one after that! As for the birds staying, scout them watch them as much as possible until then. And don't hen call to them let them be watch from afar. And pray they stay
Old 04-12-2004, 10:32 AM

I would start asking neighbors for permission and roosting them at night and early in the morning with locator calls and ears. They sound like they have a daily routine, now, which WILL change, especially as the hens get bred and start nesting. After finding where they roost, I'd look for their strutting areas and their feeding areas. I'd also be after as many of the neighbors as possible for permission to hunt 'em and when I would be talking to the neighbors, I'd ask what they have seen of the birds. A lot of people will say things like--Well, those birds hang out in my back yard all afternoon and then go over to Jim's woods-- or something similar, if you ask if they've been seeing turkeys, and if you ask around enough, and spend time scouting yourself enough, you should be pretty familiar with their daily routine, or variations thereof, by the time the season opens. Familiarity is important, because the more you know about their habits and routines, the more likely you can guess where they might be at different times of the day, and make a hunting plan accordingly.

I would not limit myself to only one opportunity by camping out on the ten acres your father owns, though, even if it is successful.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:08 AM

if you know what their pattern is or can get any insight from the neighbors would help you, just starting out turkey hunting, you dont want to bump them or get them use to a human calling to them. it is best to watch from a distance. just having 10 acres they are not likely to stick around if they feel pressured. not knowing the neighbors acreage that you are alowd to hunt. i get out every chance i get once i get home from school watching turkeys from a distance. then in the mornings i go outto where they are roosting and just sit in the woods watchin and listening to them i love the spring woods. then once they sneek out i head back to the truck and drive around our property watching and listening to the travel patterns of the birds on the 3000 acres that i call the core hunting area i hunt here in ohio. but good luck and just try to learn from the turkeys by watching and listening to their moements and calls.