Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Perplexed

Old 04-06-2004, 03:22 PM

Default Perplexed

This am i set up in s spot that i hunted a big bird last year (to no avail) and had scouted this year - the hens are there almost every morning. He was roosting where i thought, and the set up was good, and there were actually 2 gobbling. About 7:15 the hens began landing in the small field, and here comes Mr Gobbler. My initial thought was he didn't look that big, but immediately went into strut then went straight to my hen and jake decoys and strutted aroung the jake, but moved off after about a minute. I was right, he wasn't that big, 8-9" beard, maybe 1" spurs. Soon after he wandered off, here comes gobbler # 2. This bird looked bigger, but his head was not blue and he never strutted. The strutting gobbler went towards him, and the bigger bird began putting and got the heck out of town, putting the whole way, although the othe birds did not act alarmed. on his way out i saw his beard, and i'd guess it at 10"+. The strutting gobbler held court with 6 hens and 2 jakes, all within 35 steps and my gun on him. I decided to not shoot him as i wanted to take my 7 year old daughter this weekend, and this place is easy in and out (and on our farm).

My question is why did the obviously bigger bird let the smaller bird be dominant? Is he old and the younger dude whooped him and became king, or did he see the decoys and get spooky? He appeared nervous from the moment he hit the groung, but i'm sure he didn't see me. Although i didn't get to see his spurs, he appeared noticeably larger and his head was much gnarlier, so i wonder why he let junior have the wenches? Last year he would clam up if i called any, and being not bright, i called once this am when the hens began talking, wonder if that spooked him, although the hens were talking to me?

My next plan may be to not put any decoys out or call, and ambush him, or put out a full strut decoy, jake, and do some fighting purrs and wing flaps just before fly down time?

Any advice?
Old 04-06-2004, 03:30 PM

Default RE: Perplexed

They probably already established dominance and the older bird got whipped. I have seen nice longbeards get run off in the preseason because they get whipped. You may be in luck because that old bird is gonna have some lonely spring mornings it sounds like. A lonely bird is gonna be easy to call though so you may be in luck. If you can figure out where he's roostin it may not take much to call him. I love workin subordinate gobblers, especially if they are not pressured. They may be the easiest turks to call
Old 04-06-2004, 03:38 PM

if he's the bird i hunted last year, and i think he is, he did not respond to call at all last year, in fact if you called ANY he shut up, but i know his exact tree, and he dies soon, if nuttin else i ambush him

I think he did not like the decoys, but you may be right, he's older and maybe on the decline and young stud whooped him earlier. I thought the bigger birds were usually more dominant, but i appear to be wrong

thanks for the reply!
Old 04-06-2004, 05:05 PM

In a group of toms the dominate one usually weighs less because he spends his time courting and breeding instead of eating.Also if he was afraid of the other tom the fighting purrs might not be a good idea.I don't think he is itching for a fight.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:16 PM

turkey Gator....sweet talk him...clucks and purrs with a lonely hen deke.

Ain't you from T'ville? Me too.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:26 PM

Turkey Gator-

If he was the boss last year but not this year, he will be in a different frame of mind. I would definetly stay away from decoys though because old turkeys have seen em. If you can't kill him with some loud calling then try soft. The main thing is just imitate the hens in your area. If you can sound and act real, you will fool the turkey, simple as that.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:34 PM
JW
Super Moderator

It is as others have said......he got a whooping......he is no longer King!

I have seen the same thing......this smaller agressive bird fought a larger bird and won.....days later he shows up....the younger tom full in strut...see this other Tom.....and the larger bird putted.....and went slinking away....only to stay out of site...like a dog draggin' his tail between his legs.

JW
Old 04-07-2004, 03:21 PM

You bet. It ain't the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog!!
Old 04-07-2004, 04:40 PM

Yup Blindhog, Thomasville Ga. Grew up in Monticello years ago, and moved back to T'ville about 3 years ago, love it there, great place to raise kids. I'll pm you later

Hope to complete my FL Slam tomorrow (Eastern and Osceola), got some birds being roosted. Man, those Osceolas have some beards, and hopefully i'll have a pic to post! I like Osceolas, but you can have South Fla...