Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Call me officially perplexed >

Call me officially perplexed

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Call me officially perplexed

Old 09-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Call me officially perplexed

Previously, I was shooting a Savage drop away rest that tuned to bullet holes with 27" 100 grain field tipped ACC 3/49's with a Diamond Hornet at 28" DL and 70#s. I backed the bow poundage down to 62#s, and the horizontal impact was dead on with before, just hit a tad bit lower.

Installed a WB BK2 QS, shot for awhile with my new TF BP release on a Winn glove, didn't touch sight. Shot through paper and tuned to perfect bullet hole at 6', verified good to go by shooting it at 10', 10 yards and 20 yards, so felt confident tune was there.

However, I've been struggling all day off and on trying to adjust my sight. Arrow is impacting well left, and I'm out of windage adjustments on my sight. I know it's not a torque issue, I use a NP and haven't touched it's windage settings, even just shot through paper again to see what was what, and still getting 6'-20 yard bullet hole.

Can a bow tune a bullet hole at two different center shot locations? I'm thoroughly confused for the moment, will have to mull this overnight, though you fellas could too.

Any ideas?
Old 09-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Call me officially perplexed

I have found that the WB is very tolerant of rest position. You can be quite a bit off of centershot and still tune to a perfect bullet hole. It seems that the WB actually will guide an arrow that is fishtailing or porpiseing a bit and straighten out the flight before it leaves the bow. To that end, try and move your rest in or out to help get your pins back into the adjustment range of the sight. Once done, try and papertune again and see what kind of tear you have. My guess is that it will be a bullet hole as well.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

In addition to what 98 Redline posted, is it also possible that this may be somewhat of a spine issue since the WB provides a different type of support for the arrow upon release?

Personally, I would try 98's suggestion first as it is less time consuming and troublesome. If that does not help, and you are willing to make the effort, then I would try a few different arrow/point combinations. I know that with ACCs it can get expensive but.......
Old 09-14-2004, 06:07 AM

Range...............I'd group tune and pass on the paper tuning with the WB ! I think you would avoid a lot of frustration !
Old 09-14-2004, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CBM SC

Range...............I'd group tune and pass on the paper tuning with the WB ! I think you would avoid a lot of frustration !

Agreed...

it's pretty easy to get bulletholes with a single-cam bow..even with underspined arrows...I would set c-shot for whatever Diamond recommends as a starting point and group tune...
Old 09-14-2004, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can a bow tune a bullet hole at two different center shot locations? I'm thoroughly confused for the moment, will have to mull this overnight, though you fellas could too.

Yes, my FX tunes to two different positions....one about 3/16" left of center for a righty. I don't know why, but it does it. It will shoot broadheads right with field points in the second 'sweet spot' as well. The only difference is group tuning.....because of the range change, the groups will consistently shoot further left as you back up. Makes perfect sense, but the point of all that is yes, it is possible for a bow to shoot a perfect bullet hole in more than one rest position.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:36 AM

I had the same problem when I first went to the WB. Paper tuned, then set the 20 pin right on. But my arrow impact moved further left the further back I moved. So I just tweaked the rest until my arrows were hitting the same vertical line each time and then adjusted the sight accordingly.

Center shot on the WB seems to be about 1/8" or so off of where I had my NAP QT 3000 set up for some reason. But it's shooting great and grouping well with both field points and broadheads so I'll not question it.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, when I installed the WB I set the windage dead on with my current rest, and the elevation dead on with my berger hole, same as my old rest. It was flying consistently, but my first shot through paper gave me a good 2" nock left tear, something I've not seen in quite some time.

Having been firmly in the "you want the arrow leaving the bow as straight as possible with a mechanical release" camp for some time, this was unacceptable, and I tuned for a bullet hole from there. Afterwards, fps and on target penetration was noticeably enhanced, affirming my suspicion that an arrow leaving the bow perfectly straight will hit the same spot time and time again with maximal energy transfer provided I do my part.

I'll see what today brings, as I was in a bit of a fog yesterday. Perhaps it was a form or anchor issue, but I doubt it. I'll also call Diamond and see what they recommend as centershot on the hornet, and if others shooting WBs have encoutered similar issues...

Will keep this posted as things progress. Thanks all for your thoughts.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

After a long conversation with Diamond, I think I've narrowed things down.

I think center shot is adjusted perfectly, and the problem is how I'm anchoring with the Winn glove.

It holds the release farther from my face than my mongoose, and if I make sure and pull it against my face, my vertical comes in perfectly.

At this point, it's working and flying beautifully so I'm gonna leave well enough alone and concentrate on my anchor.

Whew..... [:-]
Old 09-14-2004, 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

It holds the release farther from my face than my mongoose, and if I make sure and pull it against my face, my vertical comes in perfectly.

At this point, it's working and flying beautifully so I'm gonna leave well enough alone and concentrate on my anchor.

Whew..... [:-]
That makes perfect sense. Were you able to see your pins from the right side of the string with the glove?

Quick Reply: Call me officially perplexed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.