Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunting in the rain

Old 04-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting in the rain

Well, it looks like opening day, (April 10th) will be a soggy day. It will be my first time hunting turkeys in the rain. Does anyone have any tactics that work in the rain?
Old 04-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting in the rain

..yes go to a field if you can,and wieght them out call ever now and then..
Old 04-04-2004, 01:15 PM

For the rainy days i like to just sit it out and hunt it like a regular day. Just pick a spot where you know turkey will be and sit it out. Dont be impatient and leave the spot to early just because of a little rain, because rain does not effect turkeys all that much, however they tend not to move as much in a thunderstorm. But if its just going to be raining then i would sit at my best spot and wait it out, but keep your calls dry and sit still because they tend to gobble less on rainy days and you never know when one will be on top of you in no time without you knowing it.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-04-2004, 03:52 PM

In Montana, I assume you're hunting Merriam's. To me, they are less a woods bird and more a field bird in the first place than, say, Easterns. I'd find their cottonwood roost and set up in a field adjacent the roost site. In my experience, the turkeys will stay clear of the woods as much as they can, and will go to the fields. If you already have scouted and discovered a field they frequent and know their typical entry into that field, set up there.

I'd bring my Ameristep Doghouse and set that up. Stay dry, birds are unafraid of it. BUT, I'd get in the field, not in the woods adjacent, as I've seen birds parade by 65 yards out in the field.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:19 PM

Go to the fields!!!! That's were the turkeys will be.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:26 AM

Like they said, the birds will be out in the fields. I took my biggest to date (11 1/16 beard, 1 5/16 spurs) during a steady rain at 5:30 in the afternoon on a fall hunt. There were literally 35-40 birds out in a small alfalfa field surrounded by woods. The best part was I forgot all my calls... I just set up on a field edge, waited about 45 minutes and 6 or 7 birds wandered by less than 30 yards away before the big guy committed suicide by walking right at me.

Unless lighting is cracking, there's good huntin' in the rain for turkeys.

Bill
Old 04-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Damn good advise fellas... Also, since your hearing will be greatly affected, carry a trusty pair of binocs. & use them!

"I'd rather be hunting"