Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting in the rain?

Old 11-25-2007, 07:27 AM

Default Hunting in the rain?

I want to hunt today but it is raining. Do deer move or bed down while it is raining? What kind of sucess have any of you had while it was raining?
Old 11-25-2007, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting in the rain?

i shot at a MONSTER buck a few days ago in the rain. He was chasing a doe... he was BIG
Old 11-25-2007, 07:49 AM

i'v had people say that deer dont move but i wouldn't say it like that.i think they move much slower than normal but im sure they bed down alot.we had 3 days that sucked this deer season and the reason is it rain'd,windnon-stop,leafs moving with the wind,and people hunting on top of us.i'v seen more yearlings in the rain than mature deer.like bristowboy said,you get a buck on a hot doe and he is focused on that doe and nothing else.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:00 AM

If it's not raining hard it doesn't bother the deer at all. I think they kind of like light mist or snow.

I won't hunt in the rain and hard snow because of the tracking issue though. I had a deer spoil once because I couldn't find it in the rain. No blood trail and it was dark and pouring so hard you couldn't see anything. Found it the next morning right where we were looking, but the meat spoiled over night because it was unseasonably warm (should have been snowing, not raining).

Paul
Old 11-25-2007, 08:09 AM

snow doesnt bother deer.rain does only cause rain is loud.rain and deer season dont match.grrrrrrr rain
Old 11-25-2007, 11:03 AM

Where I hunt most of the time the deer will bed down in the rain but with the rut the deer might be moving.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

I like to hunt in light rain, deer seem to move around better around here.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Spike

By all means hunt in the rain. I have gotten more than a few deer in sub-optimal conditions. I took a small buck last week in high winds. Once a I got a "double" in the rain. Two deer (I had tags for both) in about two minutes in heavy rain - and better yet, I ran into the first one 10 seconds after I left the truck and the other as I turned to put away my rifle.

Unless you can hunt in your living room, you can't get a deer if you don't go out.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

It depends how hard it is raining and for how long. Deer still have to eat, get up stretch outand move around a little bit, no matter what the weather.

If it has been raining awhile, maybe go out now. Odds are between now and dark you will have a couple of lulls in the storm. If you hunt between bedding and feeding areas, you might catch some deer moving around a little bit between storms. I've shot a few of my best critters on inclement days, particularly right after the storm ends or lightens up.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

[quote]ORIGINAL: eatsleephunt

It depends how hard it is raining and for how long. Deer still have to eat, get up stretch out and move around a little bit, no matter what the weather.

I agree! If it's raining way too hard, they'll bed up for about 8 hours max but then they still have to eat....but I've never seen it rain that hard for 8 hours straight. If it's just drizzling and sprinkling it won't both them.

I say hunt it and hunt it hard! I've seen more deer in the rain than just about anytime.

Quick Reply: Hunting in the rain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.