Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Why did the birds clam up >

Why did the birds clam up

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why did the birds clam up

Old 04-01-2004, 12:46 PM

Default Why did the birds clam up

Well, it is opening day and I was pumped.. I was at my hunting spot befor day break. i set up in a field that i have seen turkeys before. Well at a little after day break the forest went nuts. Hens and toms gobblin and cluckin.. I had some good gobbling back to my clucks and yelps. I thought i had one and he was about 20 yards out in the brush and movin in but he stopped and didnt come a bit closer. Well this went on until around 9 am and then the whole forest went silent. I couldnt raise a gobble or anything from any bird. It seems as though someone just turn off the lights...I stayed and hunted until 2 pm. but from about 9:30 am until i left i couldnt even get a shock gobble. any ideas would be helpful. Also would you have stayed and hunted like i did even though you couldnt get any response or would you have just packed it in earlier.

let me know,
Old 04-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why did the birds clam up

I would guess they had their ladies... no need to gobble.
I would of probably moved. Chances are about the time you decide to move
a turkey would of enter the field and busted ya'!
It's all if's and but's. Keep at em'!
Old 04-01-2004, 01:22 PM

I agree with HomerJ.
I think the tom were just "busy" and had no reason to gobble for more company or alert other toms that could invade their harem.
Camo
Old 04-01-2004, 01:28 PM

I agree with the above posts. When that happends I will move out real easy then come back after a few hours & do some soft calling in the same spot. Ol' Tom didn't forget you were there he was almsot committed, he may come back to see if you're still in the same area later!
Old 04-01-2004, 01:32 PM

Another question...ok if i heard the turkeys below me on the hill this morning, they were probably half way up the hill do you think it hurt me that i was at the top of the hill , that is where the clearing is, is up on top of the hill...where would you all set up. Keep in mind i dont know exaclty what trees they are roosting in i just know it is in a pine thicket. Also, there is a huge field huge to the right of the pine thick ...would you go to the side one or back to the top of the hill tomorrow. just throwing stuff at you guys...let me know

also, do you think 9 am is early for them to clam up... or is this about the time they quiet down
Old 04-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

Just curious, have you scouted this area at all? This is why it is so important to locate preferred feeding areas and strut zones. If you can't get him in in the early AM, head him off at the feeding area. If there are any areas, like along the field edge where the hens may start nesting really soon or them to dust, that would be a good set-up for middle of the day. Sounds like he had company that was trumping your calls.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

This field by the pines, is it short growth like a pasture or hay?
If it is, I love field edge set-ups, and putting decoys out. Just a thought.
Set-up close to those pines, that could be the roost... one way to find out,
roost those birds the night before. If you were above the birds and they didn't come your way, sounds like they pitched down the hill off the roost. That's if I'm pictureing your
area correctly.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:59 AM

Thats just what they do most times. They spend the first bit of the morning gobbling to bring in some hens and then clam up. Some of the gobblers may gobble but most will come in silent from this point. At least they do in my area. This is the reason most turkey hunters are back at the house by 10 or 11. Be patient and stick it out because midday hunting can be very good especially once the hens start sticking to the nests more and there are fewer receptive hens left. Find those feeding areas and strut zones. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

It wont be long bud and we will be reading about how you bagged a 20lb'er with a 11" beard and 1 1/4" spurs. By the way are you hunting private property???
Old 04-03-2004, 11:14 PM

Like said before they will come back to you later in the morning, my honeyhole if I don't get any action by 8or so I back out and head back about 10, and everytime I've done that I've got a response. Seems these toms are done with their morning session at 10 and are looking for more. This spot they seem to come in on a rope