Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 Striper Poached in Mussel & Clam Broth >

Striper Poached in Mussel & Clam Broth

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Striper Poached in Mussel & Clam Broth

Old 06-04-2003, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default Striper Poached in Mussel & Clam Broth

Haven' t been on this site for a while fishing season and all I' ve been over on Stripersonline.com any way I did this recipe for SOL.

Striper Poached in Mussel and Clam Sauce

First and most important the mussels and clams must be carefully cleaned and double checked for dead ones. One dead mussel will ruin this recipe!!! They must smell like fresh seawater.

This is actually two recipes, first is Mussels and clams marinara. The left over broth is used to poach the Striper and the Striper and broth become a Striper soup since you eat the striper with a spoon and scoop broth with each spoon full.

Mussels and Clams Marinara:

3 lbs each Mussels and mahogany clams or little necks
1 - 32 oz can diced tomatoes in basil and garlic.
1 quart crushed tomatoes, I use ones I have frozen from the garden
¼ cup dried oregano
2 tbs dried basil, Fresh dried is best
1 tsp crushed red pepper or to taste
5 cloves garlic
2 tbs olive oil
1 cup red wine
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, Fresh grated is better

Roast garlic in a saucepan in the olive oil.
Add all the above except the cheese, mussels and clams and bring to a boil
Put Mussels and Clams in a steamer and pour the sauce over the mussels and clams and steam until open.
Remove clams and mussels and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Serve with the thinner broth from the steamer in side bowls so you can scoop some with each half shell you eat.

When you are done enjoying the Mussels and Clams Marinara you should have about 2 quarts of a tasty broth. The amount of broth grew because the Clam and Mussel juice added to it.

Poached striper “soup”

Lay thick filets in a baking pan (oil pan), filets from a 34 to 38 inch fish cut into four pieces each works best.

Salt pepper and sprinkle with paprika. Spray filets with lemon juice and let stand for 15 –30 minutes
Pour broth around the fish, the broth should just cover the fish.
Bake at 400 degrees until filets start to split, broth will come to a boil, total about 30 minutes.
Serve a Filet in a soup bowl just shy of covered with broth. So you can see the top of the filet just above the broth line.

ENJOY
Old 06-05-2003, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Striper Poached in Mussel & Clam Broth

This recipe sounds great. And I' m going striper fishing tomorrow!