Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 first time turkey hunting >

first time turkey hunting

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

first time turkey hunting

Old 03-22-2004, 03:07 PM

Default first time turkey hunting

I went out Sunday and got a turkey to gobble right away. I tried to call him in for about an hour but he didn't want to come very close. I waited all day thinking that turkey was going to sneak up but nothing. Went back out today and didn't hear a thing. I guess thats my luck since this is my first year turkey hunting. [&o]
Old 03-22-2004, 03:12 PM

Default RE: first time turkey hunting

Bu
I went out Sunday and got a turkey to gobble right away. I tried to call him in for about an hour but he didn't want to come very close
Bud that bird more than likely had your greatest enemy with him. A (&*%&*%$#^& HEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't give up though; he'll be lonly soon.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:35 PM

Kevin,

Stop now while theres still a chance run, run, RUNNNNNNNNNN!!! LMAO
It only gets better!
Old 03-22-2004, 10:13 PM

Man it just seems there's always a lady foilin' our plans

No offense Huntnma
Old 03-23-2004, 06:53 AM

Kevin

next time he does'nt come in, the next thing to do is your going have to see where he is at. Sometimes you have to say wtf and go for it. Sometimes you will get burned sometimes not. If you can get to where you see the bird with out him seeing you..watch him and see where he wants to go. If he has hens with him wait until he gets out of sight and try to keep up with them. Eventually the hens will move on to nest leaving him alone. The closer you can stay with him the better. If the bird is by himself, sometimes they just don't want to come to a certain area or their is a fence or ditch.. Back out and circle him and call at him from a different location. I have had birds come in right in doing this. I can't emphasize enough when you do make a move use as much cover as possible and make sure your mask is on. When you think you have gotten close enough for a looksee, get your face right up in cover and raise up slowly. I always belly crawl the last 20 yards.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:32 PM

HI thanks for you help! I am hunting in Florida at Osceola National Forest and if you ever been hunting in florida you know its full of palmettos and very thick. The next day I went to the Path behind me where he seemed to be coming from and heard nothing. I was thinking they had to be roosting somewhere close to me since I started hearing him about 630 am. It was windy and cold that day do you think that might effect them since the day before when I heard him it was in the 80's. Also After I hear him do I answer back right away or wait? HOw long do you wait between calls? YOu can only hunt till 1pm here so about 1130 or noon I really start to call alot since time is running out is that bad? And last question Can I go back to the same place more then once since he all ready heard what my calls sound like. I was thinking he knew I wasn't another turkey thats why he didn't come in. Thanks once again for your help I am going back out Thursday If I get him I will post a pic on here.