Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

THE POWER OF ONE

Old 03-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default THE POWER OF ONE

This board has TENS OF THOUSANDS of members...

This year I will introduce a young person to the sport of hunting and/or fishing.

It may be the child of a friend or family member but I will spend some of my time to open the world of nature and its wonderment to someone else.

It will cost me my time, but I will be well rewarded. How you ask? I will get to see his or her smile as they reel in their first fish, or hear a turkey gobble for the first time...you get the idea.

There are many ways this could be done regardless of where you live.

Imagine, if you will...thousands of board members introducing one new person; thousands of smiles on the faces of thousands of kids.

This board has tens of thousands of members...if each one took a little time and introduced one young person to our sport... would the world be a better place?

This year do it... and then come to this board and tell your story. Post it and encourage others to do the same and post their stories too. Keep it going.

The young person wins. You win. The sport wins. The board shares something positive and wins.

Can you imagine?

I'm in. Are you?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: THE POWER OF ONE

Great post VC, Over the years I've taken youngsters and introduced them to the sport I love.You're so right,there is nothin like the feelin of sharin that special moment with a young person.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

What a great post!

Some of my most memorable and enjoyable moments have been introducing others to our great hunting & fishing heritage. Most were young people but some were not so young if you catch my drift. It is contagious and usually is a gift that keeps on giving. First fish, first turkey, first deer or merely the first encounter. It really doesn't matter what the quarry is, it is the experience that is usually remembered and passed on.

Keep up the good work vc1111.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

..for me last year was the best season,ever i called in a big tom for a first timer
and he busted that big bird..22lb now you talk about exciting that was..and i
thank the lord for it...
Old 03-05-2004, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Totoe, great post. It is nice to hear from you again, my friend.

The sight and sound of that first turkey is something that could hook someone for life. I clearly remember my first time.

A few tips I posted in the political and off-season forums, just to share some ideas:

quote:

A few ideas:

You don't even need a gun. Call a turkey in and shoot it with a camera. Set up on some spring feeding areas and capture photos of deer while "hiding" with the younger person. Photos are instant permanent trophies that the kids will show around to family and friends. Movies are another fantastic option to share after a "hunt."

Kids love action...leave your rods at home (concentrate on instructing and letting them have a good time... bring a cane pole, a big ol' can of worms and a few bobbers. (Remember how much fun that was?) Keep them in the thick of a school of panfish. Bring a picnic.

Few kids get to watch the woods "wake up" after going into the woods before sunrise. Even a sunset near a stream or lake is something rare for younger people these days.

Build a fire and make an easy campfire meal.

If its outdoors and you share it everyone wins.

Please take a moment and post the stories as they happen. Let the kids read about their story on the board. Introduce them and we can all recognize them and salute them by name.

Also consider donating some of your old fishing tackle, lures, rods and reels, etc to the kids that you indoctrinate into the outdoors.

The feeling of owning that first fishing rod is something that I will never forget.

It was mine. Somehow that made it very special. From that day on I was armed and dangerous.

Show them how to go out after dark and catch some nightcrawlers in their own backyard.

How about giving someone one of your old bows? Other gear?
Old 03-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great post!! I'll be taking out my Nephew this year, he can't wait!!
Old 03-10-2004, 05:13 AM

HELLO VC1111, WELL COUNT ME IN!!!!!!! I TAKE A NEW KID HUNTING EVERY YEAR! I TEACH 4-H SHOOTING SPORTS PROGRAM IN SPENCER INDIANA AND ALSO TEACH HUNTER EDUCATION. SO WITH THAT SAID I HAVE ALOT OF KIDS ASKING ME TO TAKE THEM HUNTING! I TRY MY HARDEST TO TAKE THEM ALL BUT I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH TIME DO TO WORK. I HAVE ALSO TOOK SOME PARENTS WITH ME WHO WHERE ALITTLE ANTI-HUNTING. BUT AFTER I TOOK THEM AND SHOWED THEM WHAT IT WAS LIKE THEY TURNED AROUND AND SAID WE NEVER THOUGHT IT WAS LIKE THIS. I DO AGREE WITH YOU VC1111 WE MUST TEACH OUR KIDS AND OTHER KIDS THERE IS STRENGHT IN NUMBERS. TEACHING KIDS IS A LOT OF FUN THEY LIKE ARCHERY ALOT AND MOST OF MY STUDENTS ARE GIRLS, THAT SUPRIZED ME! WELL TAKE CARE AND PUT ME DOWN FOR 3 KIDS ALREADY GOING TURKEY HUNTING WITH ME THIS COMING SEASON. IT WILL BE FUN.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

This a one of the high points when it comes to being a guide!Sure you deal with all the newbie mistakes,but teaching in a friendly manner can overcome many of these mishaps!Many hunters I guide in the turkey woods are brand new and one must take that into consideration.Introduce them to the sport in a constuctive manner and get up close and personal with a longbeard and adults will act like little children....