Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 More Or Less Power Help Me Out? >

More Or Less Power Help Me Out?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

More Or Less Power Help Me Out?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:22 AM

Default More Or Less Power Help Me Out?

I have heard from many of people that with a bow the lower the pressure the smoother it shoots? Is this true? My Bow is a Jennig Speed Star, set on 80 pounds, people say shooting at 55 and 60 is plenty enough, because the more pounds the harder it shoot and the arrow flex's. I just started bow hunting but i have already killed 2 this season so if you all would would you helo me out..
Thanks
Brent Christian
Old 09-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: More Or Less Power Help Me Out?

I think your getting some misinformation.

A bow shoots to it's utmost effeciencey when at or near peak draw weight. A 80 lb bow shoots better at 80 lbs than it does set at 60 lbs.

Arrow flex should only be correlated to it's spine for each draw weight. An 80 lb bow shoots a different arrow spine than a 60 lb bow and the flex should be relatively the same as the 80 lb bow arrow is stiffer than the 60.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

A bow shoots to it's utmost effeciencey when at or near peak draw weight.
I suppose there's no way to dispute this claim. I also suppose that in the past.....this has been the case MUCH moreso than it is, now.

Bowtech, for one, is telling its dealers, now, that their new bows have little problems operating at lower poundages (according to my shop owner). So....according to them....a 60-70 lb. bow should perform well at any poundage within its range.

Admittedly.....(and the reason I stated it's tough to dispute this)....a 70lb bow will be faster at its peak weight. Hard to argue that. But it can also perform WELL at lower poundages.

I shot my '07 Ally at 71#'s.....until I realized it liked 66#'s, more. Hence where I shoot it, now. It may be faster at 71#'s.....but it's more accurate at 66#'s. At least it is in my hands.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Funny you say that Jeff, my Commander likes 66# better too. Could we be onto something here???
Old 09-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

a bow will always shoot better when maxed out to its limit on poundage so if you only want to shoot 60 pounds I would suggest you get a bow that 60#is the max.