Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Jellyhead Choke Pattern Results >

Jellyhead Choke Pattern Results

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Jellyhead Choke Pattern Results

Old 03-04-2004, 03:59 PM

Default Jellyhead Choke Pattern Results

Went to the range today to pattern my new Jellyhead Choke and Hevi-Shot on my Mossberg 835. I have a Simmons 2X scope. There was a decent wind from right to left that did affect some of my patterns as you will see in the second picture. All in all I was disappointed in the choke.

Here is a picture of the target I used at 40 yards. This pattern was with my .685 Hastings choke using my old standby Winchester HV 2 oz #4's. I wanted to use this proven setup as a benchmark.
Results: 17 in head and neck. 7 in the red dot. (Not bad)

Next I used the Jellyhead choke with 3.5" Rem. High Velocity Hevi-shot #5's

Results: 8 in head and neck. 4 in the red dot.

Next was Jelly head choke with 3" Rem. HV Hevi-shot #5's

Results: 18 in head and neck. 6 in the red dot. (Not bad)

I then decided to take a chance and shoot Hevi-shot through my lead only Hastings choke.

So next was Hastings choke with 3.5" Rem. Hevi-shot #5's

Results: 21 in head and neck. 9 in the red dot. (Best. Picture below)

Finally, I tried Hastings choke with 3" Rem Hevi-shot #5's

Results: 10 in head and neck. 7 in the red dot.

I think I will keep my Hastings choke and use the #5 shot Hevi-shot. There was no noticible damage to this choke due to shooting Hevi-shot, and since I will probably shoot no more than five times this season---I'm not worried about it.

One other thing. I put a Limb Saver recoil pad on this gun and it was MUCH MUCH better!!!! I highly recommend them!!

Anybody want to buy a Jellyhead choke that has two rounds through it?
Old 03-04-2004, 04:13 PM

Default RE: Jellyhead Choke Pattern Results

Sour

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a Jellyhead for my Benelli SBE, so I'll be interested to see how that patterns when I get it.

As far as your test goes, the only question I have is, if the shot was windblown, did you make allowance for it in your pellet distribution count? By that I mean, did you look to see if there was a heavier distribution to the side where the wind would push the shot that would ordinarily then be the center of the pattern and count pellet density on a hypothetical head at the center of the heaviest point of impact frequency or did you just count pellets in the target head? If just in the target head, and in fact the wind did blow the shot, what you were counting was the edge of the pattern, not the center, and the choke with the densest center pattern would logically have a less dense edge pellet distribution because more shot would be in the center, than at the edge.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:38 PM

Good point!! I did---in fact---just count what I had---however---examining the patterns closely---the results would not have changed that much if I compensated for the wind. The density of the best results were much better. The overall pattern density of my Hastings choke was far superior to the Jellyhead choke. I hope you have better results. Let me know.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

SourO1 my question would be, what are the inside diameter of each of your chokes?

I wonder if anyone has tested Hevishot from Remington vs Hevishot from Nitro?
Old 03-04-2004, 05:17 PM

Jellyhead--.690

Hastings--.685
Old 03-05-2004, 06:36 AM
Spike

Remington 11-87 Super Mag.
Mad Maxx .655
Nitro Co. H51013 4x5x7
37 Yds. (couldn't get a 40 yd. shot where I was shooting.)

Old 03-05-2004, 08:46 AM

WOW!!!
Old 03-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Judging from the two photos of the patterns and my experience with Remington's Hevishot I would say there is quite a bit of difference between the two Hevishot offerings, that is HS Remington vs HS NItro.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:48 AM

nc_

As Sour says, "Wow" is right!! That turkey would be a big "no-flop". What a fantastic result!!

Have you patterned at 20, 30 yards, too? What size pattern do you have at very close (e.g. 10 yard) range?? I'd be concerned about having a close range pattern no bigger than a baseball. I'd guess 1/3rd of my turkeys were shot at 15 yards or less. Still that is awesome at 37 yards!!!
Old 03-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Spike

20 yds.

Quick Reply: Jellyhead Choke Pattern Results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.