Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 barrel length for turkey gun >

barrel length for turkey gun

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

barrel length for turkey gun

Old 02-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default barrel length for turkey gun

I am looking to get a new gun that will strictly be used for turkey hunting. I am looking to get the 12 Ga benelli nova. My question is do I want a 24", 26", or 28" barrel.
What are the advantages of a longer barrel.

Also does anyone have a choke recommendtaion.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: barrel length for turkey gun

MJ,

I currently use a 21 inch barrel with the extra full choke tube that came with it and it works fine. I have used 24,26, and 28 in. barrels, and various choke tubes, and guns, my suggestion would be to buy the barrel length that feels good to you. Then start with the tubes that came with the gun and see how they pattern at given distances. You may have to go to or try several different tubes (name brands) before getting a good pattern.

You'll also want to try different brand shells and loads to find the best for a particular gun and tube combination. Then again you may get lucky and get one out of the box that works fine, like I did.

Believe it or not, the gun I'm talking about is a Win. Model 1300 turkey and I only paid $289.00. I have more expensive guns that don't do as well as this one.

Doubt this helps much but maybe it'll get you started.

dog1
Old 02-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

i ahve a remington express mag turkey gun....21 inch barrel.....feels great.....light and feels like a little kids gun...but the stocks are full legnth.....patterns are great and it has less recoil then my mossberg with a 28 inch barrel.....i shot the choke that came iwth it too.....an extended turkey choke...i love the small size and light weight of the gun....very easy to carry and manuver....you know how it is.....they always pop up in the wrong spot and you have to think quick.....that big bulky mossberg was a killer...and was hard to carry my normal 5 or more miles i put on a day turkey hunting....im not patient....if a birds not commited im up and running after another.....unless i dont hear much else im a run and gunner.....its alot of fun if you have hot birds....we always end up going to the same spots later....the birds seem to come a while after were gone....probably lost his hens and was trolling for more coming to pick us up.....but sitting there calling to a bird that doesnt want to come isnt my style.....pick a gun you like and fits you and your style......velocities are a tad higher with a longer barrel out to a certain point....but really at 20 or 30 yards it doesnt matter.....ive shot my remington out to 45 and it patterns great.....if a turkeys within 50 i feel confident......good luck
Old 02-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot longer barrelled 10 gauges and 12 gauges chasing turkeys. Sure they all killed turkeys. But you will appreciate a shorter barrelled gun for turkeys more and more as time goes by. Especially with the longer receivers in a pump or auto action.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 21" barrel on my 1100.The only real advantage to a long barrel is a longer sight plane.