Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Does anyone have this problem? >

Does anyone have this problem?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Does anyone have this problem?

Old 02-21-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Does anyone have this problem?

Does anyone have a problem when shooting their pump with turkey load and the action falls back when the shot is fired. I shoot a mossberg 500 and if I don't hold a tight grip on the forearm when I shoot the action falls back. I don't know if it is the recoil or what. If I hold a good grip on it it wont do it. It also doesn't do it if I shoot lite loads like bird shot. Thanks for any imput.[]
Old 02-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Spike

Default RE: Does anyone have this problem?

I was sighting in/patterning my BPS this afternoon and had the same thing happen. When the gun fires, the action is released and the recoil starts the action cycling. I guess that's why a good pump shotgun man can shoot faster than some autos.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

With an ithaca 37 - If you hold the trigger down, and pump - it will fire as quick as you pump - its supposed to - you do not need to press the release - I don't know about a mossberg though - but would guess its the same.

I had a gun that would "misfire" every now and then (old savage arms) - but never when I practiced - What I found out was that when I "quietly" loaded the gun in the morning - I apparently wasn't properly working th action to reset the firing pin - Thus the misfire (and very quick pump - and shot) - In a couple cases I never go the shot off after pumping it again, in a couple others - I did.

I got rid of that gun.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

my 835,has fully ejected the shell hull before
Old 02-21-2004, 11:57 PM

I think it's a combination of things. The turkey loads have a great deal of recoil and so that does start the action moving back. Also, as with most pumps, once the trigger has been fired it will go back without the release.