Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What's your favorite shotgun action? >

What's your favorite shotgun action?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What's your favorite shotgun action?

Old 02-13-2004, 03:28 PM

Default What's your favorite shotgun action?

Just curious as to what everyone is using?

I know I've used Remington pump guns for the last 6 years of hunting without a hitch. Pumps are reliable, tough and affordable for the average hunter.

I switched to an auto this year, a Beretta 391. I must say that I like the clean lines of a semi-auto, and the fact that you don't have to make noise cycling a second round in is a plus.

Whats your pick?

Tyler
Old 02-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's your favorite shotgun action?

A Win. 1300 (pump) has done me well so far as a "feather duster". If weight & price weren't an issue, I could see myself getting another O/U as a turkey gun.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:05 PM

I guess my pick is my trusty Rem. 870 SPS-T that I've used since 1993. It has never missed a beat and looks as good today as the day I took it out of the box. I'll probably be using this gun for a long time to come.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also use a Win. 1300. Does the job just fine. Her name is Mona
Old 02-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

The last 6 years I have been using 2 Beretta 682's as my primary turkey guns. I do like the idea of having two different chokes if you want. I normaly use a X-full on the top bottom barrel and a skeet on the bottom just in case a gobbler jumps on top of me.
In the past I have used Remington 870's and 1100's and a very tight patterning Winchester 1897 pump. They all have taken their share of gobblers.

DoubleA
Old 02-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer a pump due to the added weight of a semi-automatic and just because that is what my rifle is that I use deer hunting and for whatever I hunt with a shotgun. I have no problem with the noise issue. The action is in the same blast as the shot. When I shoot it is all one sound. I've had no trouble with working the action and sound. I guess if you wait and see if your target is dead before you work the action it might be a factor.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

PBB even though my turkey thumper is a autoloader(Ithica Mag 10)I'm a pump guy at heart!Besides a short stint using a single shot as a youngster I grew up shooting a pump and still today most of my upland bird hunting and even waterfowl of which I do a bunch is done lookin down the barrel of a pump gun!!
Old 02-14-2004, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tyler, I use a 1300 pump, but like you, I lust for a quality Semi-auto for similar reasons that you gave as well!! I'd say stick with any of the three "B"'s!! (Browning - Benelli - Beretta)
Old 02-14-2004, 05:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-14-2004, 09:04 AM
VP

I've always loved shooting a pump action growing up thats all I had

I shoot both thou now- I got me a Rem 870 Sup Mag and a 1187SPS
I love them both and often switch out depending how dark the room is when I reach in the Gun cabinet.
I always shoot the 870 when duck and goose hunting thou because the Marsh where we hunt is so brutal on the finsh and mechanics of the gun.

Bobgobble, I didnt know you were an avid wingshooter-
You need to come down to South Louisiana and experience some of our Living on the edge duck and Goose hunting. The marsh hunts are incredible during the first splits.

Quick Reply: What's your favorite shotgun action?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.