Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Best Load for Turkey????? >

Best Load for Turkey?????

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best Load for Turkey?????

Old 02-04-2004, 10:29 AM

Default Best Load for Turkey?????

I have the new Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag 12 ga. 24" barrel, 3 1/2 chamber. It came with a super full choke(factory).

My question,(Turkey Hunting)

What is the best size shot to use with a Mag. gun 4,5,6 and what size shell? 3 or 3 1/2?

also, will the factory choke be good enough or should I purchase a better quality one?

I know I should buy several different loads to pattern my gun but anyones insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Hollywood
Old 02-04-2004, 01:57 PM

Default RE: Best Load for Turkey?????

Run a search on Mossberg 835 and I think you will have many threads that ask the same questions.

Anyway - their factory choke is a pretty decent choke and will get the job done. If you can afford an aftermarket choke - I believe your groups will greatly improve.

Mine shoots best with a 3 1/2 shell. #6's from Remington but I plan to try some of the Winchester HV this year.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would shoot 3.5 in Remington HeviShot #5's. Just make sure your choke can handle HeviShot.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:55 PM
VP

Personally , I think every gun is going to pattern different- Ex- My Dad and I both shoot the Rem 11-87 SPS,
He shoots a Comp-n-Choke .665 and gets incredible results- But you put that same choke in my gun and the results are dramaticlly different,,, dont know why but they are.
Any of the aftermarket Superfull Turkey Chokes will work, but finding the exact one that shoots the way you are pleased with is the key-
In other words, I've got probably 5-6 chokes sitting in the gun cabinet that I shot a dozen times or so and put up because it wasnt what I was looking for.
The choke that came with the gun WILL shoot a good pattern but could probably be improved with any of the aftermarket chokes.
As far as Turkey loads- Shoot a bunch of them and find what does best for your Gun.
Hevishot thou is the up and coming loads- THEY ARE D-E-A-D-L-Y-