Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Does anybody make their own strikers? >

Does anybody make their own strikers?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Does anybody make their own strikers?

Old 01-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Does anybody make their own strikers?

I have made several strikers now with great sucess. I use maple and cedar mainly and I have done very well with them. What is the best wood to use to make a striker especialy for aslate call? I live in tennessee so the wood selection is pretty good. I tried some wild cherry, but I could not get it to work. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help. BB
Old 01-25-2004, 07:01 PM

Default RE: Does anybody make their own strikers?

i never really thought of making my own strikers how good is the tone u have with your strikers and can i see pictures???? if u can get em on here[:-] i may have to make some for my glass call my carbon is starteing to crack any one know any good woods for glass??
Old 01-25-2004, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have a scanner or anything, but all you have to do is take a dead peice of cedar( to start out) and carve it like a regular wood striker. It don't have to be pretty to work good. Round the tip off and it should sound good. i use a pocket knife, but a grinder would be a lot quicker. Good luck. Contact me if you have any questions on making them. BB
Old 01-26-2004, 04:48 AM

I have used corncobs and dowel rods to make my strikers. I usually drill a hole in the corncob and stick a piece of aluminum arrow inside and put it in my drill and use a heavy piece of sandpaper to shape the cob. I do the same thing when making a wooden barrel for the striker. Then to make the actual striker part I just stick the dowel in the drill and sand that to get the shape I want. I use liquid nail glue to stick the pieces together. Works great. Sometimes I drill out the top of the barrel to get a better sound. I will post some pics of strikers I have made, I have used oak and poplar so far. They do take some tuning to ge them right. So don't make them a specific size right away, alow yourself some room to cut some material away during the tuning process.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:06 AM

Here are some of the strikers I have made. I also sometimes use a spray varnish on them and some of the wood ones I put a logo on them I made for my self.

Old 01-26-2004, 05:07 AM

Here is another one

Old 01-26-2004, 05:07 AM

And one final one