Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

what call have you?

Old 01-02-2004, 09:29 PM

Default what call have you?

what sound have u made to make the gobbler gobble the most with and when tring to locate a turkey what sound do u use?
Old 01-03-2004, 01:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what call have you?

6PT.I use a call I've never heard a name for.It's not a cluck or a yelp or any of the common named calls.The only way I can describe it is it sounds somethin like doo-whit.very short and two notes.I never realized I even used this call till after watchin home made video tapes.Almost everytime I would make that call a gobbler would hammer back at it.As for locater calls I seldom use them.Here in Western Pa. we have so many crows and hawks that I just let them do the locatin for me.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

6pt,as far as locating is concerned on private ground i'll locate early with a coyote howler,on public ground I let the birds do there own thing!If a gobbler gobbles on his own than he most likely is in a comfortable state of mind and not necessarily boogered up!
Old 01-04-2004, 08:44 PM

YOTE HOWLER [] never would of thought it[:-]
Old 01-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

I use a Goose flute call. Where I hunt turks at there are alot of Geese flying around and they get Gobbles with their honks so I use it.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:58 AM
Typical Buck

As a locator call, I use a Hammerin' Crow call. The birds won't respond at all to an owl hoot. If the crows are close enough though, I let them do the talking. The absolute best locator call I've seen yet was a helicopter that was spraying broadleaf plants. It was working good until he landed about 60 yds behind the birds. Then I don't know where they went.[:@]
Old 01-06-2004, 03:59 AM
Typical Buck

Hit the ok button too soon. The brids on my lease won't respond to an owl hoot.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find different locators work on different days. The QuakerBoy Crankin Crow is one of the best sounding crow calls I've heard, but I also carry anouther crow call with a different pitch, that will work when the other don't. The Gobble shaker works good also. When a Gobbler hears the sound of another gobbler in the woods he tends to answer the bird he heard. This has set aside some of the silent birds so I know where to work them...BT
Old 01-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they arent gobbling on their own, I prefer a Lomahn (sp?) crow call for a locater. I mostly hunt public land, and find soft clucks and purrs on a slate work pretty well. Its fun to get them all spun up with yelps and cutting, but my limited experience is that they come in better to the soft calls and just hang up at a distance waiting for the hen to come to them when I call too much or sound too excited...
Old 01-08-2004, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

In use a knight and hale magnum crow call. I like to use purrs and clucks to work the tom in real close. Most of the time though, I just listen for a tom to gobble on his own because I don't want him to be able to pinpoint my position.