Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Open or scope??

Old 12-06-2003, 09:01 AM

Default Open or scope??

just wondering what you all preper open sights or a scope? i've considered putting a scope but then again its just added weight and with all the running and gunning i do and plus the weight of my other equip. i opted against it so far what do you guys think? ( if you use a scope what kind and what power)
Old 12-07-2003, 04:37 AM

Default RE: Open or scope??

Well I have an 870 pump gun for turkey & deer & I use Tru-Glow sights on both of the barrels!!!!!!!!! Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 12-07-2003, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess everyone to them selves, I've hunted with scope for years and would not hunt turkeys any other way, I love the scope. Read the other scope topics and see some view points of the others. I've travelled all across North America hunting turkeys and never had any problems with having the scope off from mishandling. My opinion ,it has made me a much better shooter and safer as I can see most times as to what I plan the squeeze off on before I do...BT
Old 12-07-2003, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

If they're legal in your state, there's nothing wrong with a scope except that as you noted, it adds more weight. I personally prefer using Tru-glo fiber optic sights and spending some range time practicing my shot placement using #7.5" or #8 sport loads. Works fine for me.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Marine welcome to the forum here.I use open sites on my firearm primarily for a couple reasons.One of the biggest is i'm extremely hard on my equipment.The idea of having to worry about a scope on my gun as far as keeping it clean, knocking it off,etc,are things I just dont want to worry about.Another is guiding scope using clients this happens at least once every year where another bird comes in from the right or left of the primary bird the shooter is scoping and he doesn't see it.Then with birds at close range the shooter raises his head to find the other bird and they see us.And finally why "fix something that aint broke".I kill my birds every year and have for many years using open sites.Currently I use Tru Glo's Magnum Gobble Dot system and really like it.This is what works for me and I have all the confidence in the world with this system on any gobbler 40 yards and in.40 yards is my own personal preference.By no means is this to say a scope isn't for you or that anyone here shouldn't look into putting a scope on there own turkey thumper especially if you have eye trouble.All I'm saying is for this turkey hunter open sites WORK for me!
Old 12-07-2003, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

Anyone using a red dot scope?
Old 12-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like Adrian, I have had a scope on my turkey gun since 1992, and love this set-up. My gun never shot to the point of aim, it would always shoot high to the left. So by scoping it out, I can dial in the crosshairs right to the very center of my pattern. I never tried a Red-Dot optical system, so I can't comment on those.