Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Newbie needs some advice >

Newbie needs some advice

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Newbie needs some advice

Old 04-25-2017, 02:34 PM
Spike

Default Newbie needs some advice

Hi,
I'm new to turkey hunting & hunting in general, the only thing i'm good at is killing tree rats with a .22. I went scouting for turkey this afternoon a couple days before the spring season opens. Found a bunch of tracks in a 4 acre field surrounded by pines, the field is half sand half grass, with streams running through the field edge. The tracks go in and out of the woods, but I didn't see any bird. So what should I do next? get up early in the morning find a spot to sit down and listen for gobbles? and I have no idea where they are roosting at this point.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Listening for gobbles would be an excellent next step. It'll give you a good idea where they're roosting. Given options, they may roost in several locations. So don't assume that the first place you hear them will be the only place. Other than maybe a crow call, don't call to them to initiate gobbling.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:00 AM
Spike

get up early in the morning find a spot to sit down and listen for gobbles?

Yep. Go in EARLY and try to tread as lightly as possible.

Owl hoots and coyote calls, and crow calls may get them going BUT most likely they'll start to gobble on their own time without prompting. I'd get in about 45 minutes before civil twilight and take a nap.

IMO the best bet is to sit and listen, figure out where they roost, then stick around for another hour at least to see if they gobble on the ground. You want to be where they like to fly down, not under their tree.

If you found tracks, they are in the area. Only problem with tracks is you don't know what time of day they're made
Old 04-29-2017, 10:43 PM
Spike

Calling a gobbler to your setup includes a range of vocalizations for specific situations. Choosing a particular call is crucial. And weather has a major influence on turkey hunting success as it affects bird behavior.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:25 AM
Fork Horn

Depending on how much time you have left this year, why not set up a trail camera near the spot where you saw tracks? Most trailcams have a time stamp on them, it would give you an idea how often and at what time the birds are entering and leaving the field.