Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
New turkey hunter, troubles. >

New turkey hunter, troubles.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New turkey hunter, troubles.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:09 AM
Spike

1) Get out EARLY and listen till about 30 minutes after sunrise.

2) They'll roost on the 'creek' and the 'brook'

3) They'll break up

...When they break up, the toms will spread out and roost a bit off of each other (probably, but not always)...

...it looks like there's a cypress head or something to the west / along the west edge of 'your' area; I would think they'd roost there.

Trail cams on turkeys are usually pretty worthless unless you found a trail with a lot of tracks or you can set it up over strut marks or dust bowls...then they are almost indispensible on patterning birds.

There's no scale on your aerial, BUT IF the turkeys are married to the Buddhist fields and it's more than 500 yards away, you're spinning your wheels till at least 2 hours after sunrise. HOWEVER, you'll want to be set up at dawn anyway and plan on WAITING...get impatient in an area like that and it could burn you

Down where I hunt, a lot of birds will never break cover and get into the nice open area or pasture like you think they should, especially if there's a bit of open timber along the edges. It makes glassing during the day tough.

NOTHING beats dawn for locating turkeys. I'd trade a full weekend in the woods for 20 minutes a day civil twilight to right before sunrise