Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Where to set up for fly down >

Where to set up for fly down

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Where to set up for fly down

Old 04-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Spike

Default Where to set up for fly down

Red: Possible roosting site
Orange: Pressured field
White: Well used bike/horse trail
Green: Open woods ideal for turkeys
Blue: Stream
This is a map of my turkey scouting. I heard one gobbling in the red, and I'm guessing it's a roosting site as there are tall trees and it's a slope facing southeast. The field highlited orange is most likely the ideal fly down spot, but it looked like a heavily hunted spot. I really like the look of the green spot, but I worry it's too far from the roost. I could possibly set up to the west of the roost, because it is relatively thick woods that might hold pressured birds. This is my first time turkey hunting here, and I know it gets pressure, so any tips for setup would be greatly appreciated.
Bowhunter239
Old 04-28-2017, 03:12 AM
Fork Horn

I think you answered a lot of your own questions....I know the area, there are some birds there, but they get hunted hard. If it were me, I'd set up as close as possible to the roost site (probably stay near the trail at first so you don't make too much noise), and be prepared to move once you hear them start gobbling.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
I think you answered a lot of your own questions....I know the area, there are some birds there, but they get hunted hard. If it were me, I'd set up as close as possible to the roost site (probably stay near the trail at first so you don't make too much noise), and be prepared to move once you hear them start gobbling.
Thanks for the help. I'm going to get in as early as possible to beat the other hunters. That way if I hear gobbling I can easily move closer.
Bowhunter239
Old 04-28-2017, 05:27 AM
Spike

What time of day did you hear a gobble while scouting?

They can roost about anywhere...
...but I would hone in on the creek as a roost.

I would reckon there's a drain or creek or something in the dense-looking oaks/hardwoods west of the red area...They would roost over that and probably spend A LOT of time in the hardwoods, especially if hunted, and probably almost ALL of their early-morning/first couple hour heavy gobbling time in there.

Get in, get close, don't rush the setup, and try to be where you think they're going. I wouldn't call until they're on the ground unless they are going bonkers in the tree and there's real hens yapping in the tree or another hunter that seems to be peaking they're interest for flydown.

Call when they're in the tree, they'll wait for you to show up in view. If you're close and you wait till they're on the ground, they will probably come in close for a look.

Just my $0.02 based on what you posted
Old 04-28-2017, 06:33 AM
Spike

The gobbling was about an hour before dark. I found a few feathers nearby but no tracks, although the ground was pretty hard that day.
Bowhunter239