Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
New turkey hunter, troubles. >

New turkey hunter, troubles.

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New turkey hunter, troubles.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:28 AM
Spike

Default New turkey hunter, troubles.

I'm hunting a pretty wooded area in upstate NY, only have seen one bird make his way in on a lucky chance. I've set up decoys/trail cam all over, near possible roosting sites, and haven't been able to produce anything. Ive seen MANY birds toward a farmers field about a half mile from where I hunt. Any tips or ideas? I'm at a loss here and not sure if I have anything to hunt in terms of Turkey. Plenty of deer/deer droppings, but nothing in regard to turkey. Hunted the area for fall turkey and saw/heard nothing. I appreciate any input!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Can't kill them where they arn't. Get out in the morning and listen to see if there are any in your area
Old 04-25-2017, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

A half mile is nothing for a turkey to cover in search of food, love, or roost. With the limited information, it sounds as though you are close enough. Provide an aerial photo with arrows and captions. That will help towards giving you advice.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are seeing them near a farm field if I were you I would try to get permission to hunt that area, then set up along the edge of the field. The decoys set up in the woods with trail cameras are a waste of time and could hurt you by introducing the birds to a fake and wising them up. As was said, go out before sunup and or just before sundown and listen. Stay away from roosting sites, it is one thing to find out where they are and quite another to go poking around too close to them. Gobblers like to display in open areas in the woods or in fields, not in the thick stuff.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-25-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:40 AM
Spike

upload center free

The red is the area I can hunt, and the blue is where I have seen heavy bird activity.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:41 AM
Spike

The blue area is also owned by a Buddhist center, that prohibits hunting of any kind. Therefore hunting permission is out of the question.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

See that name you have next to the blue area called "Brook" ?

Dollars to donuts that's where they roost !

All you can do is get in that corner of the woods closes to the brook; and call with a decoy exposed in the field at the edge of "your" woods.

Last edited by Sheridan; 04-25-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with what Sheridan has stated.. Do not be surprised if they come in silent as a lot of birds here tend to because of coyote activity in the area. I am not sure how they coyotes are there. But with no hunting in around those fields most likely it is pretty much like here. Just a hen decoy can do the trick on a love sick tom. Also the turkey flocks tend to break up during breading which should put some right into your area.. Good Luck and keep it safe.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:38 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys
Old 04-26-2017, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it were me - I'd look a for a new spot and use this as a backup. You have 3 things working against you:

1) That's a fair distance to pull birds.
2) You're trying to pull birds across multiple fields and over a road.
3) The drinking, dusting, feeding - and most likely nesting areas - are located by those two creeks in areas you can't hunt.

Collectively, what you're trying to do isn't impossible - but highly improbable. You need to have two mindsets to hunt here - (1) you will likely need to hunt almost every day, or (2) have low expectations. The only way you're bagging a bird here is by truly having the right call, on the right day, at the right time. In essence, you need to catch a horny gobbler at the exact time he has no hens and feels safe moving from his strut zone to your area.

I've hunted areas like that before and have killed birds late in the season in both NY and CT. IMO, your best chance is going to be after the hens nest, which tends to be later in the season - and the gobblers do typically come in silent at the end of May (they're tired - they've been breeding & strutting for 2+ months at that point). I now call these 'high-risk opportunities', because you will typically practice your calling more than anything else, and by hunting this area you are risking the chance to hunt other birds you can actually kill...

I say scout hard now, find more properties before May 1 and hunt other birds early in the season...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.