Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
mossberg 535 patterning problems >

mossberg 535 patterning problems

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

mossberg 535 patterning problems

Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 AM
Spike

Default mossberg 535 patterning problems

I was wondering if anyone was having problems getting their mossberg 535 to pattern correctly? I have tried every kinda shell from 3inch to 3 1/2 now im gonna try a new choke tube. I contacted mossberg and that they have not had any problems that they know if with this. It had the super extra full choke that it came with, gonna try the tru glo next, any reccomendations will be appreciated
Old 02-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

I use Winchester turkey shot in pretty much all the sizes with good results from my 535.
I use a Winchester extra full ported choke in it too. Yes, winchokes fit the Mossburg 535.
It sounds like you just need to find the right ammo/choke combination for your gun.
Good luck.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

What's the problem? BTW, Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

what shells have you tried???

like said Winchester shells are hard to beat!!!

jelly head choke and hevi shot mag blend would prob fix your prob... if you chasing the "10 inch circle" all I can say is get ready to break the bank on loads and chokes... if your looking to kill gobblers inside 40 yards your factory XXfull choke and a box of the new Winchester Longbeard #5's should get the job done!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
What's the problem? BTW, Welcome to the forum.
thanks for the welcome, the problem is that i have never in my whole trukey hunting career have ever had a shot gun not pattern.... with the stock xx full choke it came with using heavy shot at 30 yards im getting like 20 or less pellets in the kill zone and its pulling all the shot to the extreme left. Ive moved my sights over to compensate to this matter but still only can get that pattern. I bet ive spent over 250.00 on all the shells possible to man to try and fix this. my other option is to use a scope but im trying to go back to the traditional open sights. if indeed this new choke doesnt fix my problem i will either put a scope on it or sell it. currently before I bought this gun ive been using my thompson center ecnore with the shotgun barrel and the pattern is phenominal it currently has a red dot scope. you may ask why then am i fooling with this gun? well its easy when its raining, my scope fogs up hard to see when its raining id really like to have a gun im able to use, plus the pump holds more....my encore is a single shot, ususally only have one shot one kill anyway, just like the odds of having another one just in case. i will deffinatley let you all know how my gun is shooting with this tru glo choke and i will be also getting me a jelly head as well to compare. thanks for all the input....i appreciate it...
Old 02-26-2014, 04:37 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
what shells have you tried???

like said Winchester shells are hard to beat!!!

jelly head choke and hevi shot mag blend would prob fix your prob... if you chasing the "10 inch circle" all I can say is get ready to break the bank on loads and chokes... if your looking to kill gobblers inside 40 yards your factory XXfull choke and a box of the new Winchester Longbeard #5's should get the job done!!!
i have the winchesters, 4,5,6 they all pull to the right....when i put in my full choke it pulled all the shot back to the center where it should be. Im trying to keep it traditonal without scope but pulling to the right isnt cutting the mustard with the xxfull... im gonna try a few chokes to try to get this matter resolved. thanks for your input i appreciate it.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a bad choke. I'd bet any other choke would make an improvement.
For your scope fog problem, I get some eyeglass defogger and use on it.
If the fog is happening on the inside of the lenses somewhere,
then the scope seals are band and it is time to go scope hunting.

As for the Mossburg 535, it is a great gun. The only thing I have had a problem with is the release just behind the trigger guard that allows you to cycle the gun. I have accidentally pushed it while taking a shot and the action come open a tiny bit and the gun won't shoot. The release is just in a bad spot.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mike52876
thanks for the welcome, the problem is that i have never in my whole trukey hunting career have ever had a shot gun not pattern.... with the stock xx full choke it came with using heavy shot at 30 yards im getting like 20 or less pellets in the kill zone and its pulling all the shot to the extreme left. Ive moved my sights over to compensate to this matter but still only can get that pattern. I bet ive spent over 250.00 on all the shells possible to man to try and fix this. my other option is to use a scope but im trying to go back to the traditional open sights. if indeed this new choke doesnt fix my problem i will either put a scope on it or sell it. currently before I bought this gun ive been using my thompson center ecnore with the shotgun barrel and the pattern is phenominal it currently has a red dot scope. you may ask why then am i fooling with this gun? well its easy when its raining, my scope fogs up hard to see when its raining id really like to have a gun im able to use, plus the pump holds more....my encore is a single shot, ususally only have one shot one kill anyway, just like the odds of having another one just in case. i will deffinatley let you all know how my gun is shooting with this tru glo choke and i will be also getting me a jelly head as well to compare. thanks for all the input....i appreciate it...
An extended after-market choke tube will definitely improve your patterns. The factory tube won't have a long enough forcing cone to adequately affect the shot column. The longer extended tubes have more gradual and tighter forcing cones to really tighten up your pattern. As far as centering your pattern, There are windage adjustable sights available that clamp onto your rib. Also red dot sights.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
An extended after-market choke tube will definitely improve your patterns. The factory tube won't have a long enough forcing cone to adequately affect the shot column. The longer extended tubes have more gradual and tighter forcing cones to really tighten up your pattern. As far as centering your pattern, There are windage adjustable sights available that clamp onto your rib. Also red dot sights.
yeah i agree, the set of sights that are on there now acutally have both windage and elevation its a pretty good set of sights...i will try the defogger spray, thanks and like i said before when I shoot ill give an update. hopefully the weather will cooperate with me soon so I am able to go shooting.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

The defogger I have came as a small package of wipes (that can be reused).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.