Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

deer ticks

Old 04-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 14 ga
tried to look up permarone, got nowhere, need help. permethrin will actually kill the ticks and fairly quickly and appears safe enough to douse your clothing with, and easy to purchase. deet does not work even just a little bit on ticks

cheers
its permanone...this stuff works great...just apply to clothes the night before...lasts 4-5 washes...

http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/re...repellant.html

found this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Perm...item564b922347

Last edited by Wilcam47; 04-22-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 PM
JW
Super Moderator

deet has no effect on tick what so ever, other bugs, yes, tick, no

cheers
And to what data or efficacy testing have you done to come up with an analysis as above?

JW
Old 04-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

tried to look up permarone, got nowhere, need help. permethrin will actually kill the ticks and fairly quickly and appears safe enough to douse your clothing with, and easy to purchase. deet does not work even just a little bit on ticks

cheers
Permanone is Permethrin. The brand Repel calls it permanone.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default bugs

Originally Posted by JW
And to what data or efficacy testing have you done to come up with an analysis as above?

JW
well, for one thing, i have been around lots of ticks in my life and sick once and always had on deet, usually 40% stuff. a couple of years ago i placed 3 ticks on my toilet seat in my trailer and sprayed them with deet. 3 hours later all three were still there as lively as ever showing no ill effects of the medicine. it didn't kill them nor did it seem to slow them down. they were swimming in the stuff. as far as permethrin goes, that is the wash applied to clothing for the military and also sold by rei for the same purpose, studies on the internet show its effectiveness. one day in my blind i caught a tick and placed it on my treated pant leg. in just 5 inches of crawling, the tick was losing control and never made it another 5 inches and it was dead, that's fast and effective. the chemical has been around just about forever and is relatively safe in fact it is used in the same shampoo that you would use to kill your kids lice. it last for about 6 mo. and 5 or 6 washings. made a believer out of me. as far as deet goes it is likely less safe. hope this helps

cheers