HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - deer ticks
Thread: deer ticks
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 05:51 AM
14 ga
Fork Horn

Default bugs

Originally Posted by JW
And to what data or efficacy testing have you done to come up with an analysis as above?

JW
well, for one thing, i have been around lots of ticks in my life and sick once and always had on deet, usually 40% stuff. a couple of years ago i placed 3 ticks on my toilet seat in my trailer and sprayed them with deet. 3 hours later all three were still there as lively as ever showing no ill effects of the medicine. it didn't kill them nor did it seem to slow them down. they were swimming in the stuff. as far as permethrin goes, that is the wash applied to clothing for the military and also sold by rei for the same purpose, studies on the internet show its effectiveness. one day in my blind i caught a tick and placed it on my treated pant leg. in just 5 inches of crawling, the tick was losing control and never made it another 5 inches and it was dead, that's fast and effective. the chemical has been around just about forever and is relatively safe in fact it is used in the same shampoo that you would use to kill your kids lice. it last for about 6 mo. and 5 or 6 washings. made a believer out of me. as far as deet goes it is likely less safe. hope this helps

cheers