Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

deer ticks

Old 04-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default deer ticks

are any of you running into deer ticks? my buddy says that they are bad here in pa this spring.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Yep I agree with your buddy
Old 04-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had to pull one off my face a couple of weeks ago. Took a walk in the woods and did some yard work on Saturday, pulled deer tick off face on Sunday morning.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Spike

Lawdy, I ****ing hate ticks!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Typical here in the SE this time of year. Those and chiggers !! And 'skeeters and horse flies and yellow jackets and copper heads and fire ants and sweat bees and moccasins and nosee-ems and gnats and rattle snakes and on and on !
Old 04-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Spike

Default Yes!!

Wear boots with your pants legs tucked in!! Use insect repellent with DEET!!
Turkey hunting last week..To shorten a longer story, I must have sat down on a colony of deer ticks. I ended up with 13 ticks on me..attached. Antibotics, ugly red sores, testing for lymes diesese. Pray that I come clean.
Didn't get a turkey. I have killed one this year, which is #50 lifetime.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Ticks is the only Arthopod that I know of - that requires you to get naked with somebody else.......ya just can't see everywhere!

Now since I worked in the Pest Industry
Yes do wear rubber boots.
Long sleeved under shirts - ya I know they are hot
and long johns and put your socks over the cuffs.

The Use of Permanone is a good idea on CLOTHING ONLY - Permethrin is not for topical skin use.
Deet will work to some extent.

Now it takes 34 to 36 hours of tick attachment for one to be concerned about tick bourne diseases.....
But find a tick on you
Remove with a forceps but grab skin and not the tick. Squeezing that tick is like a using a hypodermic needle.
Tape that tick to a file card with date,area bitten, and geographical area you think the tick came from. Always handy to give to a Dr is you have some unknown ailment!

Cloths in from the field.
Never lay your field clothes on your bed or near it.
Take all clothes off

Putting in a big plastic bag and spritzing quickly with Raid House and Garden and then seal will fumigate them nicely if infested OR

Put in a clothes dryer at a high heat setting but do remember to remove all shotgun shells and mouth calls.

The more you can keep you body covered the more chance you will NOT be bitten

JW
Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default deet

deet has no effect on tick what so ever, other bugs, yes, tick, no

cheers
Old 04-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default bugs

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Typical here in the SE this time of year. Those and chiggers !! And 'skeeters and horse flies and yellow jackets and copper heads and fire ants and sweat bees and moccasins and nosee-ems and gnats and rattle snakes and on and on !
ought to be a really really good reason to hunt someplace else

cheers
Old 04-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default bug juice

Originally Posted by JW
Ticks is the only Arthopod that I know of - that requires you to get naked with somebody else.......ya just can't see everywhere!

Now since I worked in the Pest Industry
Yes do wear rubber boots.
Long sleeved under shirts - ya I know they are hot
and long johns and put your socks over the cuffs.

The Use of Permanone is a good idea on CLOTHING ONLY - Permethrin is not for topical skin use.
Deet will work to some extent.

Now it takes 34 to 36 hours of tick attachment for one to be concerned about tick bourne diseases.....
But find a tick on you
Remove with a forceps but grab skin and not the tick. Squeezing that tick is like a using a hypodermic needle.
Tape that tick to a file card with date,area bitten, and geographical area you think the tick came from. Always handy to give to a Dr is you have some unknown ailment!

Cloths in from the field.
Never lay your field clothes on your bed or near it.
Take all clothes off

Putting in a big plastic bag and spritzing quickly with Raid House and Garden and then seal will fumigate them nicely if infested OR

Put in a clothes dryer at a high heat setting but do remember to remove all shotgun shells and mouth calls.

The more you can keep you body covered the more chance you will NOT be bitten

JW
tried to look up permarone, got nowhere, need help. permethrin will actually kill the ticks and fairly quickly and appears safe enough to douse your clothing with, and easy to purchase. deet does not work even just a little bit on ticks

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.