Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Colorado spring turkey

Old 02-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Spike

Default Colorado spring turkey

Hey all, I'm hoping for any advice on hunting turkey in NW Colorado. I live in Longmont, I've been scouting around Lyons, Estes, Allenspark, etc. this is my first year turkey hunting so I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I've done quite a bit of research regarding the habits of turkey but I guess in still unsure of hoe to really locate roosting areas or strut zones. I've been spending hours on google earth throughout the week looking for areas that have small open fields etc but I'm not sure this is really what I should be concentrating on. What elevations should I be looking at for the spring hunt? Does anyone have any info they would be able to share as far as areas I could scout? I am fine with putting in all the hard work needed for scouting but I'd like to save my knees from just walking around the woods in areas that I have no chance of coming across any turkey. Thanks in advance for any help or advise anyone might be able to give, it's greatly appreciated!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

You need to look from snow line down with water nearby, there are turkeys w. of Loveland and S. of highway 14, not too specific but if you look you will find em. Strut zones can be very small but will be close to the roost sites.
Good luck.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default where are they

my advice to ya is that if you are interested in hunting turkey in NW colorado that you stop looking for them around lyons and longmont. just a hint. you probably won't find any strut zones anyway, stop looking for them. ****, scratchings, feathers, tracks are far more likely. locating a roost tree before finding the other sign would be a crap shoot. somebody in the area you want to hunt knows something about them, start asking

cheers
Old 02-25-2013, 07:37 AM
Spike

Nice thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Being new to turkey hunting its a learning curve for sure!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Focus on S. and E. facing slopes if your hunting the mountains for roost sites, go high and call at dusk or dark with a locater call, then go in before the season, just close enough to listen to where they go next that will most likely be their strut zone. Stay back follow tracks or listen.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kramcutthroat
Hey all, I'm hoping for any advice on hunting turkey in NW Colorado. I live in Longmont, I've been scouting around Lyons, Estes, Allenspark, etc. this is my first year turkey hunting so I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I've done quite a bit of research regarding the habits of turkey but I guess in still unsure of hoe to really locate roosting areas or strut zones. I've been spending hours on google earth throughout the week looking for areas that have small open fields etc but I'm not sure this is really what I should be concentrating on. What elevations should I be looking at for the spring hunt? Does anyone have any info they would be able to share as far as areas I could scout? I am fine with putting in all the hard work needed for scouting but I'd like to save my knees from just walking around the woods in areas that I have no chance of coming across any turkey. Thanks in advance for any help or advise anyone might be able to give, it's greatly appreciated!

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android