Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 targeting all longbeards >

targeting all longbeards

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

targeting all longbeards

Old 09-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default targeting all longbeards

how do you go about targeting longbeards specifically in the fall? sure i can take a hen....but thats less poults for the future and normally they dont sport hooks n beards.....i want to learn to target long beards and become successful at harvesting them in the fall as well as the spring...i got spring pretty good but how do you do it in the fall?? thanx alot....about 7 weeks! i cant wait
Old 09-09-2003, 01:43 PM

Default RE: targeting all longbeards

Places that allow fall hunting normally use it to control the flock population, so I don' t see taking a hen in the fall a bad thing (leaves toms for spring, and the hens will make more ) But going after a ol' timer tom in the fall is probably more difficult in the fall, because they don' t talk as much and their hormones aren' t over-riding thier heads... try looking here for some good information
Old 09-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maus,I do agree with WANTF here about the hens and have on many occasion avoided taking a jake to be satisfied with a hen as a direct result of the hen to gobbler ratio.But with that said here' s a couple of things I' ve found to help in bringing home a fall longbeard.1.is locate a good food and water source.the biggest problem with fall longbeards is locating them.Fall flocks of young birds with brood hens can consist of very large flocks,I' ve seen them 150 strong before so consequently they leave an incredible amount of sign.Mature gobbler flocks are on the average much smaller sometimes only 2 to 3 birds and leave obviously far less sign.But with that said they still eat and drink and will take whatever is easy and often times will mingle with the younger birds in concentrated food and water sites.2.often times they will roost with the younger birds or close thereby.Find where they pitch out and hit the ground.This may take a few mornings to figure out but its posibble if your patient and able to sit still.3.make sure you look over a young flock good.I' ve killed some dandy longbeards that did hang with the younger birds.It may not be the norm but often times I do believe by their consistent daily patterns in using the same feeding and watering sites they at times will hang together.I' ve had much better luck in this type of situation calling them back together than breaking up a flock of nothing but longbeards.Hope this helps ya some!!Take care and good luck...Bob..
Old 09-10-2003, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with earlier posts...the right thing to do is thin out the number of hens. It' s similar to doe-to-buck ratios and proper managment. Leave the longbeard for the spring. There is nothing irresponsible about reducing the number of hens. There are plenty to produce more turkeys. Besides, your spring tom will be less " henned up." Not intended as a flame on you, but I think too many turkey hunters are insistent on getting that big tom when the right thing to do for proper management is to take a hen once in awhile. That' s why they allow fall hunting in the first place.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Three things you' ll need for huntin fall longbeards,patience,patience and more patience.Huntinfall longbeards can get downright borin.You can scatter them and wait up to two days,callin very little(clucks and gobbler yelps work best)till they try to regroup.You can also try to wait em out at their food and hope they come into range.Like mentioned above,I' d rather take a fall hen.Helps keep the population in balance(especially here in western Pa.)They taste better,and a heck of alot more action.