Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Couldn't Do It

Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Couldn't Do It

Had a tough morning. This past summer 2011, my No.1 long time turkey hunting partner David B. died of suddenly of acute Lukemia. Lasted 5 days afer the diagnosis ! He and I have chased birds for decades. He was the best turkey hunter I have ever come across. Well, this morning I went to one of the spots we used to start out listening. Big pines near a nice sized creek bottom. Sure enough about 10 minutes after light break, an owl hooted and 3 gobblers busted loose. I headed for one and set-up where I figured he might pitch and head towards. I heard several birds pitch. Sounded like about 200 yards off. I yelped a couple times. Got a gobble back. Then I shut up and waited. About 30 minutes later I yelped a couple of times again and he boomed within 100 yards or so. Heard a few hens. I got ready. About 10 minutes later here came a string of 4 hens, with a big long bearded Tom in tow. Man he was showing off !! I had a clean shot at 20 yards +/-. But unexpected tears got in the way. I thought of my buddy and just sat there and wept while the group walked off and out of sight, oblivious to my pain. Guess I'm getting sentimental in my old age! I had thought about passing the first Tom this season in memory of my buddy, but had sort of put it in the back of my mind as being a foolish old man. I'll be back at it tomorrow ... and maybe this time it'll be OK. I have got to let it go sooner or later anyway.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bringing in the first one as a tribute to your hunting buddy really is a nice sentiment. Can't say I would not do the same thing. I'm sure you'll think of the times you two had frequently this season and for years to come. That's the whole point of spending time with good people. I also feel that taking the next one is a good way to honor your friendship. After all, I'm sure he'd want it that way.

Turkey hunting is something I prefer to do as a team, even if I don't set up in exactly the same place as the other guy. I like planning out a hunt together and seeing or hearing a partner shoot as much as I like to shoot them. Hopefully you'll find another person, maybe even a younger person, to take into the woods, so all the experience you and your buddy gained can be passed on to the next generation. That's about the best way I can think of to honor your friend.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

My condolences. My grandfather introduced me to turkey hunting. He absolutely loved it and so do I. He passed away two years ago. I try to take at least one turkey with his old turkey gun (a Marlin Model 55 Goosegun 36" barrel) every year in memory of him. In a way, I still take him with me when I am turkey hunting.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:12 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Sorry to hear about your hunting bud! I know it's tuff getting back out there, brings all those memories of taking birds and laughing about the ones that got the better of you. Last year was my first year without my dad, a real turkey thug! Theirs not a hunt I go on that I don't have something I want to call and tell him about. I pray every morning before daylight and ask if he could look down and enjoy the turkey woods with me. Man just get out their and know he's with you and watching saying good job or laughing saying man you know you should have stayed put! That was awesome letting that bird go.....now go get one for him!! Good luck and god bless!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Spike

Sorry about the loss of a great friend. Sounds like you had a great morning in the woods! I'm sure he's still with you out there! Don't let it keep you down, take advantage of the time you have left in the woods. I've had 2 kidney transplants & consider myself very lucky to still be able to get out in the Turkey woods. I'm sure your buddy would want you to enjoy every moment out there. Good luck & hang in there!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great to have a friend like you to think so much of your hunting Bud and let it be known.Thanks for sharing this with us and I agree with the other guys get back out there and crack a Turkeys head in honor of your best Bud. GOD be with you and give you a Boss Tom on the next hunt.