Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Serious question- recoil reduction >

Serious question- recoil reduction

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Serious question- recoil reduction

Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Spike

Default Serious question- recoil reduction

Hello all, I'm 52 and I've been wanting to go turkey hunting and just purchased a mossberg 835 ulti mag(28"bbl) and a truglo gobbler stopper extreme choke tube.....I have not shot the gun yet as I do have a problem that I could sure use your help with......my neck has been broken 3 times, with the last break left un-repaired by surgery due to the extent of the damage, these were all done in 2000, I can walk and use my extremities like normal, but the recoil from a heavy caliber gun, and a shotgun leaves me in pain for a few days afterwards, I just ordered a Blackhawk compstock for the 835 in hopes of reducing the felt recoil to a manageable level, and I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions as to turkey loads and maybe even some more recoil reduction Ideas for my turkey season......this will be my first year turkey hunting, but I sure don't want it to be my last....if it works out I'll also be purchasing a rifled cantalever bbl for deer season too..now I've tried semi autos and different styles of shotguns but have never found any multi purpose shotguns I could deal with for an extended period, and I'm really tired of playing musical guns, I just want one that I can use for Deer,Turkey and maybe waterfowl too........Thank you, Steve
Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try to find a 2 3/4 inch turkey shell that would give me an adequate pattern out to my intended maximum range. Avoid the 3 1/2 inch shells which have brutal recoil. I use them and they throw good patterns but WOW. They will slobber knock you. I think that Hevi-13 and Winchester Elite Extended range shells come in a 2 3/4 length. Since you are starting with a reduced amount of shot because of the shorter shell I'd get them in number 6 shot. Denser than lead 6's will kill to 40 yards easily if your gun will throw a dense enough pattern. 6's will typically out pattern 5's or 4's. And denser than lead shot will out pattern lead by a wide margin. Shoot at a dot centered on a large sheet of paper so you can see what the whole pattern is doing. Poster paper size at least. Typically 80 to 100 pellets inside a 10 inch circle is considered a good pattern. Whatever the maximum distance your gun can hold that dense of a pattern then there is your maximum range. Guns vary as do their performance with different chokes and shells. So I cannot tell you what your maximum range will be from your gun with 2 3/4 inch shells. Get a good extended range choke approved for use with hevi type shot and try the shells I mentioned and I'm betting that will give you more range than standard lead shells. But at the end of the day if you had to choose between limiting yourself to 35 or even 30 yards rather than risk serious injury to your neck? Well obviously your health is worth more than every turkey on earth heaped in one pile. Error on the side of caution.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, go with 2.75" shells. For patterning, because you'll need to shoot a few rounds, consider a lead sled or similar rest. Or, add a pad in addition to the one on the new stock. Can someone else test loads with you?

Get a barrel with a cantilevered scope mount for deer, and leave the scope on that barrel. They usually are pretty close when you put them back on the gun for deer season.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Spike

Thanks for the good info, I planned on starting with the 2 3/4" hevi shot shells and if the stock works as advertised I may be able to handle the 3"..maybe.......and although I'm primarily a trad archery deer hunter, I miss hunting with guns a bit, but health trumps power in my case and I will sure watch my step in patterning this gun, and if the stock gets here in time I will have someone who will be more than happy to lay out a few rounds for me, thanks...
Old 03-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default stock accessory

blackhawk (knoxx) makes a kit for the spec ops stock to raise the comb, i got one for my 870 and it makes alot of difference, i get a very good cheek weld.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:58 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

I think you'll be pleased with the hevi 13. I shoot 3" and noticed a big difference in recoil when I swapped from my old winchesters. Hope it all works out and you have a good turkey season.....good luck!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I'm going to say is still be very careful because even the 2 3/4" turkey loads pack a pretty good wallop. I get excellent patterns with #6 Winchester Extended Range loads out to 40 yards in my Model 1200 Winchester pump gun with a .660 restriction Carlsons choke tube, but it lets me know when I pull the trigger!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know you already purchased a pump gun, but a gas gun will have much less recoil.

Sorry, but that's still my best advice !

Oh, and shoot 2 3/4" shells.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Spike

Nope the barrel isn't ported, just the choke is.... and I've had a few gas guns, built up a couple extremely nice ones, an 1100 and a 11-87, but didn't really care for shooting them.......really miss the 1100 though, probably shouldn't have gotten rid of it, but I'll sure be glad to send my shorty down the road, it's a 49-54 savage stevens pump with an 18" barrel, even with the light stuff it's got some kick to it.......I've only fired 2 shells out of it and that was plenty..... it does look cool though!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:29 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I'd change guns - Mossbergs in the 835 kick more than any other gun I ever fired. It has to do with the weight of IMO.

And good info given - a Gas operated semi-automatic kicks far less than a pump....So if you are handicapped anyway why beat yourself up? Sell it and get something that works for you......Saves money in the long run and life is way to short!

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.