Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Explain an easy way to fall turkey hunt >

Explain an easy way to fall turkey hunt

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Explain an easy way to fall turkey hunt

Old 08-20-2003, 04:05 PM

Default RE: Explain an easy way to fall turkey hunt

Hunt2kill, i may hunt on natural food plots, but taking some kind of food, and putting it in a place where it isnt usually supposed to be, in my minnd is cheating. Hunting on a feild of corn is totaly legetiamate, but taking corn, and putting it in the middle of the woods because your to lazy to find a hot spot, in my mind is cheating. After a while, its like hunting tamed animals because they are so used to coming up and finding an easy meal, that its not worth hunting. At least when they go to a bean or corn feild, they now that they still have to work to get it, no tjust stumble apon it in the woods.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:33 PM

NWTF magazine for this month also has fall turkey hunting tips and strategies.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:00 AM

Try setting up like a spring hunt and yelp like a gobbler right at daylite, the mimic whatever call he answers you(except a gobble). You can also get a couple of push-button box calls and mimic a fight. Every turkey likes to get into a good rumble, esp in the fall.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:58 PM

I acciate all this info, but how do i call like a gobbler without gobbling, i never tried it. please let me know
Old 08-23-2003, 05:47 PM

A SLOW, deliberate, course yelp. He will answer(hopefully) then you just mimic HIS calls to you. If he clucks- you cluck, he yelps- you yelp.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:12 PM

ok if i am going to call to them, do i have to get a male call or will a hen call work fine?
Old 08-24-2003, 09:11 AM

Raspy hen.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

I' ve managed to take a couple with my bow(we don' t have a fall gun season) by findin their feedin areas and gettin real high in a treee with lots of cover, and catch em comin through feedin. now I have a nice portable blind, so I' ll be able to hunt from the ground, and get away with more movement.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

What about ambushing them as they work their way back to the roost in the pre-dusk hours. Get ahead of them, cut them off, hide behind a tree and when they get in close...pow!
Old 08-28-2003, 01:59 PM

Wow... Great info... Careful when busting a flock... when it is two of you, come at the flock from both sides, screamin' like a banshee that way you get a good bust... what happens if you try busting from one side is they just get up and leave in the opposite directions but don' t really break up (you might get lucky and get one or two that went in another direction, but then you are competing with the flock when tryin' to call em' back) - Bust em' from the roost in the morning if you can... Get something, scream and start whacking the trees, come dawn, they will want to get together.

Another way is try callin' in the flock - if you manage to get an answer from a flock, pour it on! Let go with a long series of yelps (lost yelps as they are known) and throw in some kee-kee runs... once the birds are moving in your direction calling too much is virtually impossible - Call to em' like you are so anxious to meet up with them and if the lay of the land permits, move toward them as well - just don' t get spotted.