Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone Fall Turkey hunt? >

Anyone Fall Turkey hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone Fall Turkey hunt?

Old 08-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone Fall Turkey hunt?

Im going to try and hunt turkeys this fall with my bow. I have heard it is much more difficult in the fall than the spring. Just wondering if that is true and would appreciate any tips and advice the best way to hunt them in the fall is. Thanks!!
Old 08-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anyone Fall Turkey hunt?

Really depends on what your after....

Fall gobblers can be very tough, perhaps tougher than spring.

Breaking a flock of hens and poults is amazing when you center youself in the flock and listen to the vocalizations.....

I find fall turkey hunting amazing.

I do do it in hot noon times and if my buck tag is filled.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunting turkeys in the fall isn't really that much harder than the spring hunting, it's just a little diffrent.
Like Rob said it depends on what your hunting for , hen's are easyer to locate and hunt than a flock of toms.
If your in a state that allows one of either sex then by all means hunt the hen's , you can't eat the beard anyway.
One tatic that every fall turkey hunter likes to use is locating and busting a flock then setting up where they have busted them and calling them back using the " kee kee run " call or lost plout and of course the " boss hen " yelp.
If your after a tom , longbeard or gobbler then you got some leg work to do , try to locate a flock of toms , find out what there travel routes are and try to set up an ambush.
Keep in mind one thing ... no matter if it's spring or fall , they will always roost near a water source and will respone to hen yelps.
Another thing that has helped me in the past was to hunt in a ground blind with one hen decoy out , just remember if your hunting public land to be careful , theres other hunters out there hunting deer.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:38 PM

Fall hunting out here is either sex. Seems like the old ambush technique works best - pattern the movements of the birds and set up a ground blind along their travel route.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tips. I had heard that decoys didnt work that good on toms in the fall. I might have to get my hen out and see if that works

Old 08-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SD_Gobbler

Thanks for the tips. I had heard that decoys didnt work that good on toms in the fall. I might have to get my hen out and see if that works
Your welcome , I wish you luck and I hope you get a nice big fat one for your thanks giving dinner.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:30 PM

I dont really fall turkey hunt, if i have turkeys come into my stand while im hunting deer i'll shoot one, but I know some people who just bust the flock then call them back in.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

going to try if I get my tag gets drawed
Old 08-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

best way to fall turkey hunt is shoot them out of your deer stand!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

For fall i dont use a blind i stalk and the last 2 years i have been successful!

Quick Reply: Anyone Fall Turkey hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.