Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Decoy set up?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Spike

Default Decoy set up?

What do you guys use for a decoy set up and have it work effictally?? I was wondering because i had a Tom comming in but it didnt like my struted jake with the bedded hen. so any options?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Spike

Please i need to know!!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Spike

I don't think there is any magic bullet when it comes to decoys. I've taken toms that came into one hen decoy, multiple hen decoys, tom decoy with a hen decoy, and no decoy. You name it. Other than having a decoy instead of no decoy, I can't honestly say that one setup works better than the other. This is my opinion based on my experiences, but I think if a tom sees a decoy and is truly on his way and there are no barriers (fence, hollow, creek, etc.) between him and you then it is game over as long as it doesn't get screwed up by him seeing you or being spooked in some other way. Think back to your setup. Was there anything between you and the tom? Did another hen come to him? Did he see you? Were you setup in the woods and he was out in a field? I've seen many toms out in a field come only so close to the edge of the woods where I was waiting. They seem to know that there could be danger near the edge of the field instead of out in the middle of it. Bottom line is if he was really on his way to you then I'd bet something else was wrong besides what kind of decoy you had.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Spike

Ok there was nothing between me and the tom just a big hay field, no hens, he was running in then slowed down started struting around then turned around and walked away and not once did it look at us not once
Old 05-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Spike

How far away was he? You can't expect to bring a tom in from a long ways away with 100% success. Always keep in mind that he's used to having the girls come to him, or at least them meeting him part way. If you really think he was intimidated or scared by your decoys then next time just use a simple hen decoy. That way you don't run any risk of him being put off by thinking he might have to compete with another male.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:57 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Decoys are hit and miss. I've had them up and birds spook from them and I have had them run in and knock them over. Maybe that bird had took a beating from another gobbler and wanted no part of him. It's hard to say, that's why it's hunting and not killing. Bottom line on turkey hunting is when it's right you can't do anything wrong and when it's wrong you can't do anything right. Hang in there and good luck.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

I'm quite interested in this also. I've only been turkey hunting 5 times all by myself and have only learned what I kno from shows and experience. My first hunt I set up 40yds from tge roost and didn't have any decoys. I called, not aggressively at all, 35 mins later he came and bam dead. The next few times I used a hen feeding and Jake decoy. Called in three different toms two of which came in 50yds, this is separate occasions, spotted my decoys and hung up only to leave. Tge next guy circled me came in quiet and I was unprepared. Last hunt I was on I took no decoys. While turkeys seem to always be able to pinpoint exactly where you call from they seem more interested in finding out what's going on when they see nothing. This Tom came off the roost entered the field 200 yds away Strutted alot always working towards me and bam 51yds dead bird.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

Decoys work in situations when you are in an opening and gives the tom a visual to come to. If he can't see them, they don't do any good. If he can, it is all up to him what he is in the mood for. Like other posters have said, there is no one good decoy setup. They all may work in different situations.

Where I hunt, it is mostly open fields and the turkeys like to roost in a small wooded area close to the edge of the field. I normally use a single feeding hen and a plain jake decoy. I try to setup my decoys so that they can visually see them in the field from the roost. On three different occasions, I have had toms fly from the roost straight to my decoys.

This year, I had four gobblers land in front of me within shotgun range.

My second gobbler Would not come to my decoys and even came within 50 yards at one point and walked away. I could tell he wanted the hen but I'm not sure if he saw me or if he was scared that the jake decoy was there. An hour later he came to me anyways and I got a 15 yard shot.

I have also had other situations where toms come in and will not come in close enough. Again, not sure if they are scared of the jake decoy or just being cautious about the edge of the field.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed birds using anywhere from one to eight to no decoys. Really depends on the birds during your hunting period. They change their moods day to day.