HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Decoy set up?
Thread: Decoy set up?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 07:29 PM
CJR7
Spike

I don't think there is any magic bullet when it comes to decoys. I've taken toms that came into one hen decoy, multiple hen decoys, tom decoy with a hen decoy, and no decoy. You name it. Other than having a decoy instead of no decoy, I can't honestly say that one setup works better than the other. This is my opinion based on my experiences, but I think if a tom sees a decoy and is truly on his way and there are no barriers (fence, hollow, creek, etc.) between him and you then it is game over as long as it doesn't get screwed up by him seeing you or being spooked in some other way. Think back to your setup. Was there anything between you and the tom? Did another hen come to him? Did he see you? Were you setup in the woods and he was out in a field? I've seen many toms out in a field come only so close to the edge of the woods where I was waiting. They seem to know that there could be danger near the edge of the field instead of out in the middle of it. Bottom line is if he was really on his way to you then I'd bet something else was wrong besides what kind of decoy you had.