Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
New Turkey hunter... Gear? >

New Turkey hunter... Gear?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Turkey hunter... Gear?

Old 10-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Turkey hunter... Gear?

My fiancee is wanting to take up turkey hunting, I've hunted them in the past casually, but never really appropriately geared up for it.

Besides warm clothes (and not so warm clothes for spring turkey season), a shotgun, and some patience, what is the missus gonna need to be appropriately equiped?

I'm assuming a call, is in order, but is ONE call sufficient, or is having multiple calls recommended?

A padded seat/stool for comfort?

Anything else?
Old 10-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought some calls for me and the wify here
http://www.americangunnery.com/shop/...px?catid=18633

I didn't think she needed one..but I got her one of these too...Women have to be so comfy in the woods!

http://www.americangunnery.com/shop/...?itemid=163605
Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Spike

thumps up for your article, great post...
Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
My fiancee is wanting to take up turkey hunting, I've hunted them in the past casually, but never really appropriately geared up for it.

Besides warm clothes (and not so warm clothes for spring turkey season), a shotgun, and some patience, what is the missus gonna need to be appropriately equiped?

I'm assuming a call, is in order, but is ONE call sufficient, or is having multiple calls recommended?

A padded seat/stool for comfort?

Anything else?

You should probably get her a blind - helps keep you warm and also makes you harder to see. You can also move around inside a blind. I put a hunting chair in the blind and if it's really cold, I put a wool blanket on the floor of the blind. I wear black inside the blind rather than camo because the inside of the blind is black. A cover for your face is also a good idea to help make you invisible. You can also get a small heater to help keep you warm. As far as calls, I would use a slate or a glass call. This takes a lot of practice on the yelps and the purrs. A box call is also good. It also takes practice. You could get some decoys.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try these for your viewing pleasure, just before you shoot !!!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Carry...&Ntt=prtty+boy

Like going fishing; nothing beats catching them !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 10-13-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Decoys are necessary yo remove the attantion from you (the caller) in some situations and are not 100% necessary.
I've used the el cheapo foam deeks from dic_ks or gander or wherever I find them at...

One thing about calls... have her practice them outdoors... 1, because its annoying as hell to listen to indoors and 2. all calls sound different outdoors than in.
You can tune a call all you want indoors... get it in the woods and suddenly it sounds more like a pheasant than a turkey...

And get her a blind.. then she can wear and do whatever she wants... Blinds are the ultimate cheat to turkey hunting... I had a turkey at 4 feet in one while I was eatin a snickers bar and my kid played some game on my phone...