HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Turkey hunter... Gear?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 PM
turkman1
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
My fiancee is wanting to take up turkey hunting, I've hunted them in the past casually, but never really appropriately geared up for it.

Besides warm clothes (and not so warm clothes for spring turkey season), a shotgun, and some patience, what is the missus gonna need to be appropriately equiped?

I'm assuming a call, is in order, but is ONE call sufficient, or is having multiple calls recommended?

A padded seat/stool for comfort?

Anything else?

You should probably get her a blind - helps keep you warm and also makes you harder to see. You can also move around inside a blind. I put a hunting chair in the blind and if it's really cold, I put a wool blanket on the floor of the blind. I wear black inside the blind rather than camo because the inside of the blind is black. A cover for your face is also a good idea to help make you invisible. You can also get a small heater to help keep you warm. As far as calls, I would use a slate or a glass call. This takes a lot of practice on the yelps and the purrs. A box call is also good. It also takes practice. You could get some decoys.