Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey with a rifle?

Old 09-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey with a rifle?

I've never hunted turkey, but it sounds challenging and fun. Where I grew up, rifles were illegal for any type of hunting (except for muzzle loaders). But where I live now they are listed as legal for turkey and other things.

If I take this up, I'd have to hunt with a rifle because I've been temporarily re-located by the Army and most of my guns are at home. I brought one deer rifle with me, so that's what it will have to be this year. I have two questions, though.

1- Do you shoot center mass on the body or go for the head? I know shotgun hunters go for head shots, but that seems like a tiny target for a rifle.

2- What calibers do you recommend?

Last edited by mac266; 10-01-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like shooting fish in a barrel, if you ask me.

Sorry, just my opinion.......................so have at it !
Old 09-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Spike

Not legal to hunt turkey here with rifles, but I would guess aim center of mass and use the .270. Your chances of missing are less and your hole won't be as big. You might want to check with one of your local gun shops they could probably give you a better idea. If it is enough gun for it you might want to look into a .22 rimfire. the guns and ammo are inexpensive, you would just have to keep your shots within 50 yards.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

^Wow, I have a few .22 rifles, but I didn't think they would do the trick. I should have been a little more clear -- I'm *not* new to shooting and own somewhere around 35 or 40 guns. I just have never hunted turkey, so I am *very* new to that part of the game.

In addition, I've been temporarily relocated by the Army to the east coast. I brought the .270 with me to hunt deer with, and then read that rifles are legal here for turkey, which got me thinking about it. So I do own shotguns, they're just half-way across the country; whereas, the .270 is in my closet.

My old man is a turkey hunter and uses a 10 gauge. I know most folks use 12 gauges and large shot. That's what makes me think a .22 would be too small. Frankly, I think I'll use the .270 until I get one or two under my belt. You don't think that will ruin too much meat?

Last edited by mac266; 09-18-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot them in the head........with the smaller centerfires & rimfires.

Aim where the neck meets the body with "larger" centerfire calibers.

Mid-body will destoy a lot of meat.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Spike

it's not legal in most states if any to hunt turkey with rifle. Shotgun and Bow are the only and best ways to hunt them
Old 09-18-2010, 05:27 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Most states don't allow shotgun shot size larger #4.

While it is legal to shoot a turkey with a rifle I ask why? You want the eat one great! But true turkey hunting is calling the bird up close less than 30 yards is the goal.

Now that being said and it is legal in several states to use a rifle - I stilll would shoot for the head - more of a challenge and no meat is ruined. I think a 270 is far to large a caliber but then again I have never shot one with anything other than a shotgun.

A 22 in the head neck should be all you need. Still be one heck of a challenge with a 22 at some distance.

Be safe

JW
Old 09-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

I would use a 223 with a solid bullet for zero expansion and no wasted meat.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nessmuk
it's not legal in most states if any to hunt turkey with rifle. Shotgun and Bow are the only and best ways to hunt them
You didn't read my post. It *IS* legal here, and I want to know where to aim.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

In Pennsylvania it is legal to shoot turkeys in the fall with a rifle.

The best rifle for hunting turkeys is a .22 Winchester Magnum

I have shot many turkeys and the best shot is at the base of the neck or between the wings and the legs.

With a .22 Magnum, you will not hurt the meat much because the bullet passes right through the bird. You actually would do more damage with a 12 gauge shotgun then you would with a .22 Magnum.

A .270 Winchester is way too much gun for hunting turkeys.
You will blow a hole, big enough to throw a cat through with 130 gr bullets. They do make a sabot bullet for the .270, but it is really expensive and you would have to sight in your rifle to shoot them and in my opinion it isn't worth it.

Call your daddy on the phone and have him FedEx your guns to you.
It would probably cost you $15 to $20 each to ship them to your new destination. Not a lot of money compared to buying new used firearms to go hunting here.

The head and neck is a poor location to aim for when hunting turkeys with a rifle. Half the neck is feathers and it does not leave much room for error.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.