Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey with a rifle?

Old 09-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by turkman1
The only way to shoot a turkey is with a bow unless you're handicapped and need to use a shotgun. A rifle is no sport! I am upset that we are now using a rifle to shoot a turkey 100 yards away. Where's the sport in that??!!! In most states, you can shoot deer with a high powered rifle and that's no sport either! I have never shot a turkey with a gun much less a high powered rifle.
i used my .410,but a word of advice turkman,dont ever get into a gunfight unless you got the drop.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good advice JD !!! LOL !!!

I'm still not sure he'll take it.................................

Last edited by Sheridan; 09-20-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:47 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Timbr - yer correct - lost my ethics for a moment!

JW
Old 09-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Spike

well if u tell me I would use any type of rim fire and shoot it near the chest. I haven't shot turkey with no rifle but once in my ranch I forgot my shotguns and I went hunting pheasent with a .17 hmr and my 10/22 really challenging though instead of 12 birds as planned i got 5 but turkeys don fly that much. GDLUK wid dat
Old 09-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry, guys! I didn't mean to upset anyone. I have never heard of shooting a turkey with a high powered rifle being legal. I don't use guns. I only hunt with a bow. I like the challenge and the sport of it. I am not new to hunting, but my hunting is only with a bow. I am new to this site though. Again, I am sorry if I offended anyone by stating an opinion. I guess I didn't read the whole conversation. Mac266 - thank you for serving our country. I hope you stay safe.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

Some pretty high horses, eh?
You might try the '06 with these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=220009
Here in Wyoming we hunt with rifle a lot. I aim for the wing to body joint. I use a .22 Mag. But a 55gr projectile out of the '06 would certainly do the trick.

Enjoy your hunt . . .
Old 10-01-2010, 03:48 AM
Spike

Everybody who hunts deer has their own opinion of what is the best caliber and rifle for doing so. The fact is there are literally hundreds or more rifle/caliber combinations that are adequate for hunting deer. I have hunted with bolt-actions, pump-actions, and lever-actions in more calibers than I could name from .243 Win. to .30-'06 Springfield. All of them did the job except for a lever action in .30-30, but I never got a shot at a deer with that one.

Here's what I think, 7mm-08 is a great beginners cartridge. It is really similar to a .243 (they are both necked down .308 cartridges) but can shoot heavier bullets without much more recoil. The .243 while a good accurate round uses lighter bullets than I want to use, but it can do the job. Any of the rifles you mention would be an excellent hunting rifle for deer as would the Winchester model 70. There are others that are great too. Look over all of the guns, check out the options that are available, and decide what you would be the most comfortable using. The best choice is whatever you are confident and comfortable shooting. Also consider the safety position and type, as they vary and you want to be able to operate quickly without having to look at it.
.................................................. ...................
neukundengewinnung
Internet Marketing Bedford
Old 10-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are we stll talkin' turkey !?!?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

RR,

This is one of those hunts were getting close is more fun !

Just kidd'in !!!

I know you would prefer to shoot them from 1,000 + yards away (and, perfecty gutted).

Remember, just kidding.....................
Old 10-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Spike

Default hmmmmmmmmm

Where's the challenge? I have to tell ya to have the time of your life and to really enjoy the hunt, use a shotgun. You are missing the hunt if you use a rifle, kinda like use artillary for deer. You have accomplished something getting that bird within 40 yards and looked him/her in the eyes. This is just my opinion but i really think you would have a better time with a shotgun and even better time with a bow. Anyway be safe out there and good luck

shawn Thomson
Pro staff
Bag Limit Custom Calls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.