Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey with a rifle?

Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Alpine_Archer
I would think that a rifle for turkey is a little overkill. There is a petition this year to outlaw rifles during turkey season here in FL. Why not use a bow or shotgun and be way more effective???
And yet ANOTHER poster who fails to read...

Seriously, this is a recurring theme on this forum. You all REALLY need to read first and post something relevant to the question at hand. If you want to talk about something else, start another thread. What you're doing gets people banned on other forums.

Let me reiterate for the intellectually-challenged: I've been temporarily relocated by the Army. All my guns except one are in Colorado. I have one rifle with me in Virginia. I'll be hunting in Virginia and have access to ONLY this one rifle. Rifle hunting turkey is legal here; I'm going to do it. My question was where to aim a .270 to avoid destroying meat.

Where my sentences short enough for you? Do I need to dumb it down some more? Seriously, I think in five pages of replies only one or two people have actually tried to answer the question. Everyone else tries to tell me how evil rifle hunting is, how it's not legal where they live (I DON'T LIVE THERE!!!), what guns I should buy (they won't let me buy a gun here or have one shipped here anyway), how bowhunting is the only way to do it, and one guy even went on a long spiel about deer hunting calibers. Then after I lay into some people about their irrelevant drivel, more people come back and do the same thing.

This group of turkey hunters is very frustrating. I'm starting to think I should stick with deer / elk / bear / antelope hunting because those folks are 10 times smarter!!!

Last edited by mac266; 10-06-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I am sure if nothing else your making a lot of friends here . There have been several suggestions advising you where to shoot so not sure what are you wanting us to tell you? I would say with a 270 buy the smallest bullet you can buy that will expand the least, not even sure if they make a solid bullet in a 270. Shoot it anywhere where the bullet will not pass through the breast and you will be fine. The breast is the only thing worth eating unless you use the legs in soup or something.

Last edited by SJAdventures; 10-06-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

Wow, can't believe the grief you are getting about hunting turkey with a rifle. I carry a 30-06 for deer hunting and I would definitely take the opportunity to bag a turkey if it presented itself. My father-in-law did just that with his .270 a few years ago. The bullet exited at the top of the far side breast and took out some meat, but there was still plenty left.

I can't really say where to aim, I guess it depends on how good of a shot your are. I am not the best shot in the world but would probably aim for the lower neck. I figure I would either hit it and kill it outright or have a clean miss.

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

hey man I read your post your the idiot who wants to hunt with a rifle for turkeys. completely and uderly stupid. you don't have to harass me in private message because i gave you my opinion about the subject.

you sir are by far an ass telling me i should be banned for what??? get a clue man.

I hope you do shoot a turkey with a high powered rifle and have a pass through shot and nail some little kid in the head. Maybe that will open your eyes a bit to why its illegal in MOST states.

Last edited by Alpine_Archer; 10-07-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Good job, Alpine Archer! I have been monitoring this post for awhile and this has been going on for a long time. If you have a different opinion than Mac, then he insults you and thinks you are stupid, amongst other things. (lol) Everyone has an opinion, but not all opinions are right. He originally asked a question about where to shoot a turkey with a high powered rifle. He got several responses. However, when opinions were stated about shooting a turkey with a high powered rifle, he got defensive. I think everyone "gets it" that he is in the Army and only has one gun with him - a high powered rifle - and he wants to hunt turkey. He got several replies to his question about where to shoot a turkey with a high powered rifle so as not to waste a lot of meat. Different ideas for different people. Everyone is different. He got his answers, so he needs to let it go now. I think people were reading his posts, but instead of just answering his question, they stated a different opinion than him and that is where the trouble started. That does not make other people stupid.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Alpine,

I'm pro-choice on everything, as long as no one gets hurt (and it's "mostly" legal) LOL !

Say whatever you'd like, I don't care !!!

This is something I wish you didn't say;
"I hope you do shoot a turkey with a high powered rifle and have a pass through shot and nail some little kid in the head."

Some will hold it/use it against all hunters.

Just so you know, Here are my original comments;

"Like shooting fish in a barrel, if you ask me.
Sorry, just my opinion.......................so have at it !"
Old 10-08-2010, 05:53 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Well this post has run its course and is locked.

Debate is healthy personal attacks is against HNI rules.

JW