Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Egg-laying phase: Any tactics or suggestions? >

Egg-laying phase: Any tactics or suggestions?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Egg-laying phase: Any tactics or suggestions?

Old 04-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Egg-laying phase: Any tactics or suggestions?

I called my fish and game biologist who stated our hunting season in Washington state is timed after peak breeding and by opening day the hens are usually laying one egg a day.

I suspect were in phase II of the breeding cycle?

My brief observations show that the toms are displaying and maybe not gobbling too much except on the roost.

Any suggestions or tactics I might want to employ?

I've been posting a lot and I apologize if I'm cluttering up the board, but I've been on a 3-yr hunting hiatus and just trying to refresh on things.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Kitsap-Since I just about as far away from you as I can be without getting my feet wet--I cain't comment on your birds--But I ran across this article perty good info!
http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/articles/michels3.htm

But here when the hens are laying the late morning/middle of the day is the best time.
I just find a area with alot of sign and set the dekes out and soft call,purrs and clucks--every now and then a slightly harder fighting purr.I will usually stay put from 1 to 1 1/2 hours before moving on! Good Luck and welcome back!

David
Old 04-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

I would set up in the area the toms last saw the hens as they will return there during the day looking for hens, by 9 am or so the hens should be leaving the toms to lay eggs. Yelping and cutting should bring the toms in, if you know where their strut area is try setting up there.
Good luck
Old 04-06-2010, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

BowKnutt - I read that article and several others on that website - good read and some other great resources! Thank you for sharing that!!!

Kim
Old 04-07-2010, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

What has worked for me in the past is,I have set up about 35-40 yrds from where hens would lay eggs. And had gobblers come following a hen to her eggs struttn etc.Even though the hen didnt want anything to do with the tom!And to really get a hen ticked off and cackling etc.Is same setup and aggresive cutting!!Ive got in a shouting match with some real hens cause i was intruding near their eggs,and that would bring a nearby gobbler running in.The toms gobbled sometimes,but once or twice.Sometimes jst came in silent.No better decoy then a real hen trolling thru the woods to go to her eggs,And they have to get to them jst got to wait it out.And once a tom sees a hen hes like a dog on a leash most of the time.LOL.
Hope this helps,Just sayn it has worked for me many times to take late season gobblers!!Ps,not sure if its legal to hunt knowing your near eggs etc in your area,Dont know if thats considered baiting???LOL..
Good luck,and have fun..
Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Turkey Goddess
BowKnutt - I read that article and several others on that website - good read and some other great resources! Thank you for sharing that!!!

Kim
That site is hands down the best turkey site around. I've been a member over there for years. A classy bunch and eager and willing to help newbies along.