Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What is the better gauge for Turkey? >

What is the better gauge for Turkey?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.
View Poll Results: Better Gauge For Turkey!
10 ga
4.00%
12 ga
88.00%
20 ga
8.00%
Other
0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

What is the better gauge for Turkey?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Todd1700

So denser patterns are a bad thing for turkey hunting? Guess that's why you shoot Nitro's.

And I never said that a 20 gauge sucked as a turkey gun. I simply said that typically you will sacrifice something on pattern for the benefit of lighter and easier to carry. And typically you will.

On the one hand you sort of chastise me a for knocking the typical 20 gauge pattern you will get at 40 yards compared to a typical 12 gauge pattern using the old, "Dead is dead, how dead do you need them to be" line. Then you turn around and admit that you use a 8 dollar per shell Nitro duplex load that probably puts 3 1/2 times as many pellets as you need inside a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. So which is it? Am I still wrong to think a better pattern is more desirable or is just marginally good enough the standard we should all aim for? Your posts here seem to support one side and your choice of shells the other.

Todd,

Firstly, I have not "chastised" you. In fact I invite you to read through my earlier post where I stated that I "didn't disagree entirely" with your comments.

As for my support of "marginally good enough" 20 gauge patterns, do you consider 200+ hits in the 10 at 40 yards "marginally good enough". I think it is far more than "marginally good enough". If you open the link I posted you can see it for yourself.

And just because I shoot 3.5 Nitros doesn't keep me from appreciating the fact that a properly set-up 20 gauge is a capable turkey gun. My understanding of the attributes of both guns enables me to fully appreciate the merits of each. I don't have to pick one or the other - I love them both.

I shot a 20 for many years in my youth so I know the gun well and appreciate it for what it is. If you read through the thread you will see that I stated my intention of moving to the 20 gauge at some point as my main turkey gun.

I have no problem whatsoever with denser patterns. In fact I believe fully that one should seek dense, uniform patterns regardless of the gauge they choose to shoot.

And for the record, the Nitro H51013M loads (4x5x7) I bought last year didn't cost $8.00 a shell. Frankly, I wouldn't care if they did because ammo accounts for a minutely small percentage of the jack I spend to be able to chase turkeys from March to May across Tennessee.

MC
Old 02-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

do you consider 200+ hits in the 10 at 40 yards "marginally good enough".
No, but a 20 gauge that will do that is not exactly a typical example of what the average joe can expect now is it? Whenever you speak in general terms someone can always pipe up and offer an example that defies the norm. But when offering someone advice I find it best to let them know what the norm is first. Then if they want to try and defy the norm that's their business.

And just because I shoot 3.5 Nitros doesn't keep me from appreciating the fact that a properly set-up 20 gauge is a capable turkey gun.
Though it seems to be repeatedly implied that I did, I challenge you to point out where I said a 20 gauge wasn't capable.

I have no problem whatsoever with denser patterns. In fact I believe fully that one should seek dense, uniform patterns regardless of the gauge they choose to shoot.
Agreed, and they are more easily and often achieved with a 12 gauge vs a 20 gauge. If there was no difference then everyone would carry the lighter gun for turkey hunting.

I had two buddies both try to go the 20 gauge route because of how much lighter and easier to carry they are. After spending all the money on the guns, polishing the barrels, buying about 5 different chokes apiece and running 6 different types of shells through those chokes, neither was very satisfied with the results compared to the guns they had been using. At least for one of them it wasn't a total waste because he has a young son that can use the 20 gauge he purchased.

And when you consider that the average Joe out there probably isn't going to invest nearly that much time and money setting up his new 20 gauge, I stand by my claim that "IN GENERAL" their results will be substantially inferior to a 12 gauge.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your right Todd a 20 gauge 1 1/4 oz load can not compete with a 2 oz load 12 gauge. That Nitro 4x5x7 is near impossable to beat and all the loads I have tested with a 20 gauge is straight #6 as far as making a normal off the shelf 20 gauge a turkey gun, that is no problem and I have done it with Remingtons. Mossbergs, and Benelli's but what a turkey hunters needs to keep in mind the patterns out of a 20 gauge is not going to be close to a 12 gauge because of the volume of shot in the shells, impossible. However a shooter can upgrade that 20 with a good choke and load combo and still out pattern the factory setup so if a shooter can put 60-70% of the shot where it needs to be then why would you need more, If died is died ?

The reason I like the 20 is only because it is lighter and shorter on the most part and it can kill them as died as a 12 in my eyes, but over all, the 12 gauge is a better gun for turkeys. I guess in my view also, I like the challenge of this gauge because I've killed my share of birds over the years.

Is there a better turkey gun? Yes I would have to say Benelli's because they all seem to pattern better on a higher level then other brands and I have also noticed this while testing guns...

Think I'm done with this thread ...

Last edited by Adrian J Hare; 02-27-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I know that 12 gages are the norm, but they aren't necessary, and a 10 gage is just plain overkill. I use a 20 gage Charles Daly pump with an Undertaker choke, at 30-40 yards it will shear a gobbler's head clean off with pellets as small as 7.5s, with 4-6s it will kill him dead in his tracks. It's the load, not the gun.

Last edited by kevin1; 03-01-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Spike

I agree that a 20 guage will kill a turkey but to say a 10 is overkill is not right. Most people believe that a 10 has more recoil than a 12ga also this is a myth I own one and have fired it with winchester 3.5 inch turkey loads #5, 2 1/4 ounce shot the recoil is minimal. Dead is dead though your 20 may kill out to 30 yards my 10 will kill a turkey that is out around 60 yards which is not an ethical shot but If I had to take it I would. Use whatever gun you want to use though. I will always use a 10 ga or a 12. Good luck this turkey season.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

I carried a 12 gauge 870 Rem with a Rhino tube and 3 inch Environmetal 4X5X7 H378 loads for several years. Great combo to say the least. Killed many a bird with it.

Last year just for grins I put a PureGold .555 tube on the wifes 20 gauge Remington 870 Express, picked up some Envirometals in straight 7's and added a Red Dot.

I gave up nothing with the little 20. Denser patterns at 40 yards, and the result, bang, flop, at distance greater than 40, although I don't advocate long distance shooting with any gauge shotgun.

No more lugging the 12 around for me. In fact no more 12 period. Sold the whole thing lock, stock and barrel, as turkey hunting was the only thing I used it for.

Count me as a big fan of the 20. Properly set up for turkey hunting, it'll do anything my 12 ever did, and a whole lot easier to tote around, which is definitely a plus over a long season of running and gunning.

Last edited by MichiganBowbender; 03-01-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd say it depends on what is you definition of best. That being said, I shot my first turkey with a 2 3/4" 20 gauge. Then, as I got older, I used a 12 ga 3", then a 12 ga 3 1/2". And I got my share of turkeys with them. I consider them to be the most versitile.
However - since I've grown older and wiser. And I am getting better at getting old Mr. Longbeard in closer, and with the improvements in turkey loads, I switched back to a 3" 20 Ga. In truth, I actually got a Rem 870 youth model. This shotgun is very light compared to my 870 12 ga, shorter so it fits me better when sitting and the 3" payload is plenty for turkey out to 30 yds. once you find the right load for your individual choke.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

12 ga. is easily the most common.a 10 gauge will,kill um and do some of the pluckin for ya!and cook some of it!lol
Old 03-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Spike

All guns are very capable turkey guns. I have shot turkeys with all three guages. The 10 guage I had shot like crap so I quit using it, the 20 guage I out grew, and the 12 guage will drop em dead at 70 yards with hevi shot. I know folks who have shot them with 410s. Anymore I prefer a sharp stick and got out of gun hunting them.