HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What is the better gauge for Turkey?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Todd1700
Nontypical Buck

do you consider 200+ hits in the 10 at 40 yards "marginally good enough".
No, but a 20 gauge that will do that is not exactly a typical example of what the average joe can expect now is it? Whenever you speak in general terms someone can always pipe up and offer an example that defies the norm. But when offering someone advice I find it best to let them know what the norm is first. Then if they want to try and defy the norm that's their business.

And just because I shoot 3.5 Nitros doesn't keep me from appreciating the fact that a properly set-up 20 gauge is a capable turkey gun.
Though it seems to be repeatedly implied that I did, I challenge you to point out where I said a 20 gauge wasn't capable.

I have no problem whatsoever with denser patterns. In fact I believe fully that one should seek dense, uniform patterns regardless of the gauge they choose to shoot.
Agreed, and they are more easily and often achieved with a 12 gauge vs a 20 gauge. If there was no difference then everyone would carry the lighter gun for turkey hunting.

I had two buddies both try to go the 20 gauge route because of how much lighter and easier to carry they are. After spending all the money on the guns, polishing the barrels, buying about 5 different chokes apiece and running 6 different types of shells through those chokes, neither was very satisfied with the results compared to the guns they had been using. At least for one of them it wasn't a total waste because he has a young son that can use the 20 gauge he purchased.

And when you consider that the average Joe out there probably isn't going to invest nearly that much time and money setting up his new 20 gauge, I stand by my claim that "IN GENERAL" their results will be substantially inferior to a 12 gauge.