Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
New to huntingnet, and to Turkey Hunting >

New to huntingnet, and to Turkey Hunting

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New to huntingnet, and to Turkey Hunting

Old 02-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Spike

Default New to huntingnet, and to Turkey Hunting

I am new to Huntingnet, and to Turkey hunting.
Any tips for a newbe, I Thank you in advance.

Like how to scout, and when to scout.
And how to set up.
Any Tips you have, and what not to do.

Thank You Manny.Beards
Old 02-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default Scouting

Welcome

Where do you plan to hunt?
I hunt the Rocky's, so the following is what works here, some things may be different in other states.

I get in the woods and scout about a month before the season starts. I suggest you check out your local DOW web site they have a lot of info like harvest #s in each county etc. at least here in Colorado they do. Ask around at your local sporting goods store etc. Check out other posts on this site there is a lot of helpful info here from hunters all over.
When you locate a general area holding turkeys get your topo out and locate ridges with E or S facing slopes with water nearby. ( some areas hold water that are not on maps). Turkeys roost on E and S sides to be protected from N. storms and wind and to get the early morning sun.
Get a locater call (owl or coyote call works for me), call after dark you should be able to locate the roost, be there early and learn where they go after fly down, know there feeding area, strutting zones and travel routs. Now you know where to hunt.

Good luck! Stay legal and be safe.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Spike

Welcome to the forums Many Beards! I'm new to Huntingnet and to Turkey Hunting as well. You'll find a great group of hunter's here with lots of valuable knowledge and experience to share!!!

Hope to see u in chat again sometime!

Kim
Old 02-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

Be qiet and Be still when they are closethose senses are ridiculously good. Learn how to call decently try youtube videos. They dont need to be national champion good but it seems the better they are the better you are off. Set up in front of a tree wider than you are it helps(not complety necasarry though). those are just a few of the 1,0000000000000000000000 things you can to turkey hunting. Look at the tips and tactics this to.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

hello and welcome aboard,

I suggest you just get out to the grind. Start hiking and look for turkey tracks in the mud, as well as feathers and droppings. This will tell you what general area they are at.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

BEING STILL IS THE BEST CAMO other than that practice calling. if you can use a diaphragm call you will have better luck simply because it frees up your hands. a good vest is nice to have to keep you dry when sitting against that tree. im sure you know deeks will help. i personally use and like the flambeau collapsable jake and hen pair.

PM me if you have any questions
Old 02-15-2010, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Getting out with another hunter that knows how to kill birds or even a guide can help a lot.

I have a DVD out on the market that is called "Learning the Ropes of Wild Turkey Hunting" that is just what you are wanting to know. There are a few suppliers in the USA or I could point you in the right direction if you PM me. I do not want to spam this site with this so I would soon keep it private...

Welcome to the forum as well...
Old 02-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend Getting your hands on everything you can about turkey hunting... The DVD mentioned would prob be a good step in the right direction!!!

I would also recommend watching DVD's on actual hunts... More for just seeing how turkey react to calls and decoys movement ect ect...

If you know someone that can take you under there wing that's even better...

Good luck this spring!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome to both. Scout. Get in early and stay late. Look for droppings, scratchs, feathers. Its a good time to get out where your gonna hunt and know the area.
Oh and dont get frustrated at the sport if it dosent happen the first year, or second etcetcetc. It took me 4 seasons.