HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to huntingnet, and to Turkey Hunting
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 01:57 PM
RockyMtnGobblers
Typical Buck

Default Scouting

Welcome

Where do you plan to hunt?
I hunt the Rocky's, so the following is what works here, some things may be different in other states.

I get in the woods and scout about a month before the season starts. I suggest you check out your local DOW web site they have a lot of info like harvest #s in each county etc. at least here in Colorado they do. Ask around at your local sporting goods store etc. Check out other posts on this site there is a lot of helpful info here from hunters all over.
When you locate a general area holding turkeys get your topo out and locate ridges with E or S facing slopes with water nearby. ( some areas hold water that are not on maps). Turkeys roost on E and S sides to be protected from N. storms and wind and to get the early morning sun.
Get a locater call (owl or coyote call works for me), call after dark you should be able to locate the roost, be there early and learn where they go after fly down, know there feeding area, strutting zones and travel routs. Now you know where to hunt.

Good luck! Stay legal and be safe.